Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Query

JHW2010
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Apologies as i'm sure this is covered elsewhere but i noted 20k + queries when i typed in "Sim Only" so figured best to ask.

Currently on a Pay Monthly phone contract that is due to end in just over a month.
Phone still works so i'm pretty sure i'll just carry on with my airtime contract - thus becoming "sim only" i assume.

If down the line i decide i want a new phone - how does one go about upgrading?
is it still just as simple as "upgrade" through my o2?

or do i need to purchase a new "sim only" deal when my existing contract comes to an end?

I've always just upgraded to a new phone after i've paid off my existing phone - and against my better judgement sent the old phone off to "o2 (rip you off) Recycle", but this time i think i'll stay with the phone i have and just save some £££ on the monthly bills for a while.

just don't know how to do it or what happens if i need a new phone

thanks all

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23923 Posts
  • 1043 Topics
  • 3770 Solutions

@JHW2010 If you're looking to do a sim only upgrade use USwitch to possibly get a better deal. They do phone upgrades as well.
https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/o2/
Choose the deal you want.
This will automatically redirect you to the O2 website.
Just follow the prompts and choose the UPGRADE option.
Complete the deal and nothing on your account changes except the tariff at the new cheaper cost.
Payment date is the same and your next bill will be at a cheaper rate and will be made up of the pro rata cost of your old tariff and your new tariff.
The change should show in My O2 within 24 hours.
Volt benefits will still apply as will possibly a 3 month extra such as Disney+.

There's also this O2 guide: How to upgrade your phone (o2.co.uk)

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148828 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28443 Solutions

@JHW2010 

Anyone completing their refresh minimum term has the option to do nothing and continue to pay just the airtime, at the same price, or upgrade to a simo and save money.

You can then upgrade to a phone tariff at anytime you wish, without any penalties, but you will need to choose another different airtime tariff when you do.

Guide: How does O2 Refresh work? 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 3