cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking query

Anonymous
Not applicable
On the unlocking page it says you needed to have bought the phone at least12 months ago, what's the rules about payandgo sims,

Could someone confirm can I obtain an O2 payandgo sim Top up it up with £15 and have my phone unlocked by O2 ?
I bought the phone off eBay and i believe the seller originally bought it from care phone warehouse and is locked to either O2 or giffgaff

Also a secondary question , can you still unlock the phone if the person is abroad ?
Can they obtain an O2 payandgo sim top it up with £15 and unlick it using the online unlocking form?
Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

right, where to start?!

Unlocking ur phone on pay and go : It cannot be done that way I'm afraid. It needs to be active for at least 12 months, and then u can pay the £15 and get it unlocked.So you may need a bit more info from the seller? If it's locked to giffgaff then u need to see what their procedure is.

On pay and go it's not relevant if the person that bought it is abroad or not, its the 12 months rule that counts, they go on usage not on a name.Hope this helps slight_smile 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

....Once finalising his code, morse had a sudden heart attack and died.

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

lol @viridis 

Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

right, where to start?!

Unlocking ur phone on pay and go : It cannot be done that way I'm afraid. It needs to be active for at least 12 months, and then u can pay the £15 and get it unlocked.So you may need a bit more info from the seller? If it's locked to giffgaff then u need to see what their procedure is.

On pay and go it's not relevant if the person that bought it is abroad or not, its the 12 months rule that counts, they go on usage not on a name.Hope this helps slight_smile 

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can this be confirmed please,
So you need to have activated the O2 sim at least 12 months ago before O2 will unlock it?
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes 12 months unless its an iPhone _ not an iPhone 6 for now

unless you know someone on a o2 contract who can insert their SIM.card _ makes some calls to latch its imei number to their account and they request the unlock via the online form. 

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
So someone currently living abroad can obtain an O2 payandgo sim
Top it up with £15 and have their iphone unlocked by O2 ?
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

And then Your request will be declined @Anonymous .

a) the handset was not bought from o2

b)the imei is checked to see if it was purchased on pay and go or contract

Like I said @Anonymous , It's 12 months, and £15. You are more than welcome to ring 4445 (pay and go) CS to confirm this. slight_smile

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Seems to be conflicting advice. How do I get a member of staff to reply?
Message 9 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Seems to be conflicting advice. How do I get a member of staff to reply?

@Anonymous is a member of staff.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 14