Did you mean: 

Unexpected Bill: Red27 Mobile Ltd

NH1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi
We have seen 2 charges on our daughters phone each for £3, 6 June and 13 June. How do we block this payment? We think it might be a fraud.
Thank you
NH
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@NH1 

Help here 

Guide: Have you fallen for or been conned into a premium rate scam? What to do next 

and also here www.payforitsucks.co.uk

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

O2William
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 31 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@NH1 wrote:
Hi
We have seen 2 charges on our daughters phone each for £3, 6 June and 13 June. How do we block this payment? We think it might be a fraud.
Thank you
NH

Hi, normally these companies send a message saying if you want to "stop" the payment to reply back to them, (which is what you have to do to stop the payments) (it normally says something along the lines of "text Stop to the number xxxxx) if there is no text asking to have this payment stopped, call our customer service and they can look for the details of this charge.

thanks

will

Message 3 of 11

bigdavie88
Level 9: Fired up
  • 144 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 14 Solutions
This service is not a scam. Its part of chillax games so you should check what games they have recently downloaded.

Also to stop it you can do below and to request refund.

To unsubscribe send STOP to 65353
Help? Call: 03333135014
E-mail: support@red27mobile.com
Service provided by Red 27 Mobile Ltd
Message 4 of 11

cole-stevens
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am absolutely appalled by O2 and their service, I called to question additional unknown charges dating back over a year on my 12 year old daugthers phone. I set this line up with a zero spend cap I specifically asked that there was no chance of any ingame purchases or any unauthorise purchase on this bill. 

"I ABSOLUTELY NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES"

13th March 2021 I spoke to an agent at O2 who confirmed that my account had a zero spend cap and that the charges dating back over a year would be refunded and I was assured that no further charges from RED27 would be applied to my account and no additional charges would be able to be applied to my daughters number in future. 

Today (17th May 2021) I find that no charges have been refunded, that even more charges have been added the bill and O2's response is; 

"We dont have any notes on file that you called about this issue before"

"They're direct to bill charges and that's down to you, we don't stop those or refund them"

Basically O2 are enabling this scam to continue, What about the recorded call from the previous O2 operative? I have not authorised RED27 to add these charges and nor has anyone else in my family, I am disgusted by O2 for a number of reasons and although I have been a customer since it's was Mercury One2One unless this matter is resolved immediately I shall be cancelling all 3 of my personal phone lines and all my business phones too!

My advice...

record your own calls, take notes, add dates and ask for the operatives name or reference for the call. 

Message 5 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@cole-stevens 

To ensure this doesn't happen again you need to ask O2 to place the following 2 bars on the account.

Bar to Direct Bill Debits (Charge to Mobile)

and a Bar on Premium numbers .

Only customer services can do this.

Guide: Tips to avoid unexpected charges on your bill 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@cole-stevens 

Our member @Payforit_Sucks is best placed to advise you of your legal position here.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

Payforit_Sucks
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@cole-stevens wrote:

I am absolutely appalled by O2 and their service, I called to question additional unknown charges dating back over a year on my 12 year old daugthers phone. I set this line up with a zero spend cap I specifically asked that there was no chance of any ingame purchases or any unauthorise purchase on this bill. 

"I ABSOLUTELY NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES"

13th March 2021 I spoke to an agent at O2 who confirmed that my account had a zero spend cap and that the charges dating back over a year would be refunded and I was assured that no further charges from RED27 would be applied to my account and no additional charges would be able to be applied to my daughters number in future. 

Today (17th May 2021) I find that no charges have been refunded, that even more charges have been added the bill and O2's response is; 

"We dont have any notes on file that you called about this issue before"

"They're direct to bill charges and that's down to you, we don't stop those or refund them"

Basically O2 are enabling this scam to continue, What about the recorded call from the previous O2 operative? I have not authorised RED27 to add these charges and nor has anyone else in my family, I am disgusted by O2 for a number of reasons and although I have been a customer since it's was Mercury One2One unless this matter is resolved immediately I shall be cancelling all 3 of my personal phone lines and all my business phones too!

My advice...

record your own calls, take notes, add dates and ask for the operatives name or reference for the call. 

@cole-stevens You are , of course, correct that it is a disgrace that O2 are allowed to apply these charges to accounts without taking any responsibility for them. What makes it worse is that spending caps don't work against these scams. O2 staff often give uncorrect or incomplete advice on this issue.

As the law stands, the alleged contract is between you and the "service provider". I believe that in this case the "service provider" is Red27 Mobile. Under UK law it is for Red27Mobile to prove the existence of such a contract. If they can't do this, you are entitled to a full refund of the unlawful charges. Have you asked Red27 to provide this evidence?

Red27mobile are well known operators of these scams, although recent changes to the rules make it much more difficult for them. They seem to have shifted their focus to Ireland where the regulations remain very lax. Take a look at their Trustpilot reviews to see how many irate consumers have been trapped in to dubious "subscriptions" by Red27. 

PSCG believes that it is wrong for networks to be passing on these charges without satisfying themselves that the transactions are lawful. We have been pressing the Phone-paid Services Authority (PSA) to force networks to take more responsibility. Although much has been done since November 2019 to make it more difficult to "autosubscribe" consumers to these "subscriptions", as it stands any dispute is between you and Red27Mobile. 

We have had considerable success using the UK Small Claims procedure to recover unlawful charges like yours. Details of how to pursue your case are here:

https://psconsumers.org.uk/how-to-deal-with-scam-text-charges/ 

You can also contact us to get advice specific to your case:

https://psconsumers.org.uk/contact/ 

Our Facebook group supports victims and campaigns for regulatory change:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/psconsumers 

The regulator has organised a consumer consultation for this Thursday where you can express your concern at the failure of the networks to provide adequate consumer protection from scam "services".

https://psauthority.org.uk/news/events/2021/april/code-15---consultation-webinars 

Sadly, consumer interest in these regulations is currently minimal, mainly because the number of these scams has dramatically reduced. However, companies like Red27 are waiting in the wings, ready to exploit any "loopholes" in the regulations.

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 8 of 11

cole-stevens
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Believe it or not my complaint is not about the scammers it's with O2, who offered to refund or repay the money and to put an immediate STOP to the charges. But they have not and O2 will not refund the money and they failed to put a stop to the charges. 

Their response is;
"Unfortunately you were given the wrong information, we cannot refund direct to mobile charges" 

It's not my problem that a member of staff or representative of O2 gave incorrect policy procedure, at the time he confirmed a refund and a stop so O2 should stand by their staffs actions and take up their policy matters with their staff, not their customers. 

O2 choose to be associated with RED 27 Mobile LTD, where a simple search on google and you will find a lot of distasteful messages and comments about this company. 

O2 are the platform for these fees to be taken and they profit from these charges being passed through the platform, How much is O2 earning from these charges? 

So O2 have lied (given wrong information) and they now choose to be assoicated with alleged scammers? So why should I continue to trust O2 ? The answer is I don't and I shall be moving my business lines and my personal lines to another company as soon as possible. 
Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@cole-stevens wrote:
How much is O2 earning from these charges? 

30%, hence their interest in these services continuing.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 11