Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Text messages starting with 200

Hi

My wife is receiving texts starting with 200 and then our local (or nearby towns) land line dialing sode. Is this a scam. I will be taking this down to the local O2 shop in the morning.
Anonymous

No its not a scam and neither are they text messages. She has simply turned Cell Broadcast messages on. Topic 200 is local area info.
She just needs to turn them off again in her handsets message settings.
Topics: 576
Solutions: 4,015

Anonymous

Hi thanks

There is a funny symbol which i cant make out with 200 next to it. on the line below is 01493 01502 which is our local dialing codes.

she has an old samsung SHG- E530. if this is cell broardcast how do we turn it off. it only started this afternoon on our return from spain.

Thanks
Anonymous

As I say, they are not text messages but the local area info of the cell broadcast messages. (This is a very old method of delivering news, sport etc to the handset - before WAP existed). Topic 200 is the only one still being broadcast.
You turn it off in your message settings.
Anonymous

If its anything like other Samsung, it will be Menu, Messages, Broadcast.
Anonymous

Thanks for the help Think its now sorted.

Once again thanks.
Anonymous

Re: Text messages starting with 200

iv got a samsung and i did what you said, but when i go in to menu then messages i can't find broadcast?
is there any other ways?
Anonymous

Re: Text messages starting with 200

Oh sorry, i didn't look properly thanks, it was starting to annoy me Smiley Happy