cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text message - Delivery reports

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I know there are a few threads regarding this topic but they seem a few years old now and wondered if there was any new info on whether or not O2 plan to introduce this as a standard feature?

Most modern Smartphones have the option within their settings to receive delivery reports for text messages. These are usually confirmed on the senders phone with a small tick and indicate your friend has received the message you sent to them.

There are a few reasons why I find delivery reports useful and I'm sure I'm not the only one. One example is, if you know a message has not been delivered, you know your friends phone is possibly off and you can simply wait before sending them any more messages.

I realise you can manually type *#0 before every text message but this can be awkward and does not look very good when looking back through the messages you have sent.

In February, I came from BT (the carrier was Vodaphone, I believe) and they provided this simple network feature as standard. You could turn on the delivery reports option within your phones' settings and automatically get delivery notification whenever a message was sent, without the need to type in a special code before every single message.

If Vodaphone (and other carriers) can provide this feature as standard, why not O2?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I can vouch for that.

My first contract was with Vodaphone, then BT Cellnet and round about the time text messaging (and smileys!) took off, I recall a delivery report cost the same as the original text.

Message 11 of 41

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

That makes sense as it in effect another SMS message.

I don't remember BT Cellnet ever doing delivery reports either though without the extra characters at the beginning before they became O2.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 12 of 41

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Some networks charge for them now as well. 3 will charge 1p I believe per report received. I better not say that too loudly around here though, O2 might get some ideas........ Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do they still charge if you have a text allowance. Ie will the delivery report be deducted from a text allowance ?
Message 14 of 41

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

I believe they don't come out of an allowance. Can't say for sure though. I haven't used SMS delivery reports for quite a while. Partly as 95% of my messages now go as iMessages and that has its own delivery confirmations

Message 15 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable
Snap. wink
Message 16 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well this is something that I only found out today with O2.

Well listen to this one guys and hope a moderator from O2 sees this. I started a new contract with O2 only last week and got a new S5. I was with Virgin with the same handset and I always use message reports for many reasons as already highlighted on here. I set the settings to " read reports " in the phone but whatever I tried nothing seemed to work. So I then rang O2 not on one occasion either and was never ever told that O2 does not do reports. 

They stated that there must be a problem with the phone itself and as I stated to them that I really want reports activated, they decided to issue me with another S5 phone, of which I am still waiting for delivery on Monday. All this grief and aggro because the CSA's do not know their jobs properly.

So O2.......Why do you not do reports on your text message service when everyone else does, and why am I waiting for a new phone, when that one will also not work ?? I really cannot understand how this could have possibly happened.

Comments anyone ???

Message 17 of 41

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

This seems very strange. O2 do not support delivery or read reports except on MMS.

Why? Presumably not to put more load on an already congested network?

Message 18 of 41

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Just precede your message with *0# (star,zero,hash,space) and you will get a delivery report. Note that with SMS it's only a delivery report.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 19 of 41

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@aldaweb wrote:

Just precede your message with *0# (star,zero,hash,space) and you will get a delivery report. Note that with SMS it's only a delivery report.

Thanks for this info @aldaweb  It really is a school day for me...Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 41