cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text message - Delivery reports

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I know there are a few threads regarding this topic but they seem a few years old now and wondered if there was any new info on whether or not O2 plan to introduce this as a standard feature?

Most modern Smartphones have the option within their settings to receive delivery reports for text messages. These are usually confirmed on the senders phone with a small tick and indicate your friend has received the message you sent to them.

There are a few reasons why I find delivery reports useful and I'm sure I'm not the only one. One example is, if you know a message has not been delivered, you know your friends phone is possibly off and you can simply wait before sending them any more messages.

I realise you can manually type *#0 before every text message but this can be awkward and does not look very good when looking back through the messages you have sent.

In February, I came from BT (the carrier was Vodaphone, I believe) and they provided this simple network feature as standard. You could turn on the delivery reports option within your phones' settings and automatically get delivery notification whenever a message was sent, without the need to type in a special code before every single message.

If Vodaphone (and other carriers) can provide this feature as standard, why not O2?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 41
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Some phones have the option to do it for you regardless.
My HTC One will do it on O2 without any special codes.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Yes as you say this is something other networks supply and O2 do via the code you highlight.

Perhaps our site management can look into an official answer for you.

I use iMessage which does tell you when a message has been read.

His name is @Toby

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/60444
Message 2 of 41

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Some phones have the option to do it for you regardless.
My HTC One will do it on O2 without any special codes.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 41

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I realise you can manually type *#0 before every text message but this can be awkward and does not look very good when looking back through the messages you have sent.

Hi Bat-n-Ball

just a slight correction regarding the characters for delivery reports on O2

It's "*0# " including the space following the # not *#0.

I am sure as you've been using this that it's just a typo but for the benefit of others looking for the information I though it best to correct it. wink

Of course you could use BBM instead as it's now cross platform and get 'Read' notifications as well as 'Delivered' notifications Smiley Very Happy

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 4 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that was a typo slight_smile

What is BBM?

Is it a BlackBerry thing? I'm on Android (Xperia Z2)

Edit:

Just looked on the Play Store and found it but where possible, I try to avoid apps when the basic Operating System's functionality should do a particular thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an app fan and experiment with pretty much anything but I'm still curious as to why O2 do not provide this as standard.

Message 5 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes BBM is blackberry messenger.

It was recently opened up to other platforms. I can get it on my iPhone now.
Message 6 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, just quickly Edited my post but you beat me to it!

<quote>

Edit:

Just looked on the Play Store and found it but where possible, I try to avoid apps when the basic Operating System's functionality should do a particular thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an app fan and experiment with pretty much anything but I'm still curious as to why O2 do not provide this as standard.

</quote>

Message 7 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lol.

I looked on the forum yesterday and one old post suggested it had something to do with o2's systems not coping / set up for the extra traffic connected to delivery reports.

Wether that's a viable reason I'm not sure.
Message 8 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I read that too, although it looked a bit assumptive!

At peak times, for example rush hour when people are texting when leaving work or while in a traffic jam, I imagine the network would be quite busy, but a delivery report surely would only contain a tiny amount of 'flag' data?

Then again, it might not be the data 'throughput' that is important, it might be initiating the delivery report request?

Either way, if Vodaphone (and other carriers) can do it, I'm sure O2 can.

Message 9 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable
Indeed.

I think I remember on some networks many moons ago you were actually charged for delivery reports (don't quote me on that tho. wink )

Mind you in the early days SMS wasn't even thought of. slight_smile
Message 10 of 41