cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Message Charges overseas

Anonymous
Not applicable

Am on a Pay Monthly UK tarriff using an iPhone6

I have been charged multple times for messages sent from o'seas (texts presumably) to [Removed]

I understand what the number is used for but don't understand the multiple charges - all within a few minutes of each other

e.g. 31st Jan sent two short texts (one from NZ to UK, one NZ to NZ) both less that 160 characters. On the bill it has appeared as 17 texts (and accordingly charged 17 times 40 p each) 

There is a network investigation 'live' but no answer 

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It can only be answered by o2 unfortunately.
I could guess that your phone sent them multiple times due to not receiving a ping back from the network but that is only a guess.
You should be refunded though for them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It can only be answered by o2 unfortunately.
I could guess that your phone sent them multiple times due to not receiving a ping back from the network but that is only a guess.
You should be refunded though for them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That's a weird one... (and worrying) ...I don't suppose you actually have been abroad recently?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been charged multple times for messages sent from o'seas (texts presumably) to [Removed]

For anyone else subsequently reading this thread, the number quoted was the standard O2 international text gateway number.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

That's a weird one... (and worrying) ...I don't suppose you actually have been abroad recently?

NZ I think.....?

Currently using:
Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

NZ I think.....?

Duh note to self ..read post properly. Who's there?

I read it initially as if strange texts had been sent mysteriously from NZ.

I see now Op sent two short ones....and they appear to to have increased massively.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been sending texts from the UK to an EU mobile - this month my bill shows that I've sent over 980 texts, when I've actually sent 301 - none are classed as MMS or similar - again O2 hasn't a reasonable response for me (they've no idea) and are investigating - if anyone has any idea what could be happening, it would be great to understand the problem.  My bill is curently £360 because of this instead of the usual £80-100

There is an instance of two texts being sent and according to the billing, I'm being charged for 13 texts sent in 28 seconds (one text every 2,4 seconds, which is faster than I can type and faster than most texts take to upload in my rural area).

For information I sometimes send emojis but these appear to be charged at standard rate.

Regards

Robert

@Anonymous wrote:

Am on a Pay Monthly UK tarriff using an iPhone6

I understand what the number is used for but don't understand the multiple charges - all within a few minutes of each other

e.g. 31st Jan sent two short texts (one from NZ to UK, one NZ to NZ) both less that 160 characters. On the bill it has appeared as 17 texts (and accordingly charged 17 times 40 p each) 

There is a network investigation 'live' but no answer 

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If the text is over 160 characters it will be classed as 2 texts. Over 320 characters and it's classed as 3 texts. Emojis will send you over a single text character count.
Explained here
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it...

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8