Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Message Character Limit

MajB1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Does anyone know if there is a character limit on a text sent to Ireland. Thanks
Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27657 Solutions

One text is 160 characters regardless of where it's sent to. Often phones will combine 3 texts to give 480 characters before converting to an MMS message.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/ba-p/1014132

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27657 Solutions

One text is 160 characters regardless of where it's sent to. Often phones will combine 3 texts to give 480 characters before converting to an MMS message.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/ba-p/1014132

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

MajB1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the response. If that’s the case it looks like I may have been over charged for some of my texts... I will look into it further.
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MajB1

If you exceed the 160 limit (say for example your text came out at 200 characters including spaces) it would likely count as two texts.

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27657 Solutions

@MajB1 wrote:
Thanks for the response. If that’s the case it looks like I may have been over charged for some of my texts... I will look into it further.

No problem. Hopefully all explained in the link above for you?

Currently using:
Message 5 of 5