cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching contracts through another website

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi! Just a question..I'm currently in a contract with my iPhone 5c and I'm looking to upgrade to an iPhone 6 however my contract ends in feb 2016 but I have O2 refresh. I have found an upgrade contract with O2 on the website mobiles.co.uk for an iPhone 6 that is just a little more than my current contract per month, I'm wondering if I am able to refresh but to the upgrade contract on the mobiles.co.uk website without hassle because the o2 contract is cheaper and better suited to me there whereas I can't find one that suits me on the O2 upgrade tariff site...any help would be muchly appreciated as I would really like to upgrade without having to cancel my contract and pay the remaining £200+ thanks:)
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Pay off the device cost (amount is shown in your My O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 ) you can then give O2 30 days notice on your current contract which means you are effectively out of contract and free to upgrade anywhere you choose.
You then need to get the new contract on O2 from mobiles.co.uk BEFORE the 30 days are up on your current O2 contract and call CS (on 202) and ask them to migrate your current number to the new contract you've got from mobiles.co.uk.
This will then end your current O2 contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You can only get a Refresh deal directly from O2.

To upgrade anywhere else unless they offer to pay the balance for you, you would have to pay it.

Remember too, that with Refresh you only have to pay for the handset in order to cancel the airtime part of the deal for no extra cost.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ahh okay thank you!

So if I refresh my tariff, does that automatically mean I have to pick up a new tariff or can I pay the refresh and that would be it?? Sorry for the questions I'm just new to this whole thing still tongue
Message 3 of 9

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Once you have paid for the handset and leave the airtime part.

You might then be able to upgrade elsewhere like mobiles.co.uk but you'll have to ask them.

Just ask for a PAC if you're moving to another network, staying with O2 then you don't need one.

Upgrading will move your number to them and cancel with O2.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Pay off the device cost (amount is shown in your My O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 ) you can then give O2 30 days notice on your current contract which means you are effectively out of contract and free to upgrade anywhere you choose.
You then need to get the new contract on O2 from mobiles.co.uk BEFORE the 30 days are up on your current O2 contract and call CS (on 202) and ask them to migrate your current number to the new contract you've got from mobiles.co.uk.
This will then end your current O2 contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
My device cost is my O2 refresh and I don't think I can pay that off without having to upgrade on this site but once I pay that will I still be charged the air time? And if I pick up a new contract and carry over my number, will the airtime automatically be stopped or will I have to buy it out ?
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous

There are 2 ways of doing this: you can pay off your device plan ( you can do this online or using the payment option of the 202 automated service) and then if that website lets you upgrade, you can. Once the device plan is payed your number is eligible for an upgrade.

The second option is to pay off the device plan, get the new phone from the online retailer and then calling customer services to transfer the mobile number you want to keep to the new contract.

That way you keep your old number but with the new phone and contract. Hope this helps slight_smile

Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
My device cost is my O2 refresh and I don't think I can pay that off without having to upgrade on this site but once I pay that will I still be charged the air time? And if I pick up a new contract and carry over my number, will the airtime automatically be stopped or will I have to buy it out ?

All explained in my answer directly above your question.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

You do not have to upgrade with O2, your airtime will continue until you upgrade, this you can do with another firm like mobiles.co.uk.
Once you do this there it will cancel your airtime with O2 and there is no more to pay.

Message 9 of 9