cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swap My Sim gave me a different phone number

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I went through the whole Swap my Sim process, it took quite a while for the old sim to turn off, and the new sim to turn on.

Unfortunately, the process did not update the phone number on the new sim.

I *am* doing all of this from within the United States, is there something that happens on the network that can only happen if I am in the UK? -John

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the delay!  Thanks for all the input. I'm so delighted to find such an active community.

When I say "different number", if I go into the phones Settings, and choose "About phone" and then into "Status", it lists a different phone number than the one listed on my account.

If I text a message to that new number, it sucessfully gets sent to the phone.

UPDATE: Before I posted this, I double checked the old sim, and it still works! (runs on T-mobile over here). So my guess is that the swap never went through?  Although I would swear that the original sim stopped working at one point.

I'll be back in the UK in a couple of weeks, so if there is an issue, I'm sure an O2 store can help me sort it out.  Its just so nice to have a working phone right when I step off the plane.

Thanks for the help everyone!

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143447 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you are talking about the actual phone number embedded into the SIM which is displayed in the phones settings as "My Number" then you have to change it yourself. Only the number port is carried out by O2 so as long as the correct number is working when you call the phone the swap is complete.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I'm not entirely certain about this, but I have a feeling that it wouldn't work while you were in the US. You're not on the O2 network while you're over there, so how could you send the information to O2 to swap the sim, or how would they send it back to your phone? I could be totally wrong about this, so maybe someone else could chime in.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are using an iPhone then go to Settings > Phone and change the number at the top to the number you are keeping.

If you aren't using an iPhone, please give us a few more details as to what you mean by 'swap my sim has changed my number'?

Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you are using an iPhone then go to Settings > Phone and change the number at the top to the number you are keeping.

If you aren't using an iPhone, please give us a few more details as to what you mean by 'swap my sim has changed my number'?

Opium would you know if this can work while the op is in the us?

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah - sim swaps should work fine. It's just on our side, we provision the account services onto a new sim serial number so it doesn't exactly need to be connected to an O2UK mast.

I will double check tomorrow if the OP still has issues just to be on the safe side.

Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh ok thanks that sounds like thats not he problem then

Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah - will be interesting to know what the issue actually was.

Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes if we ever find out wink

Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the delay!  Thanks for all the input. I'm so delighted to find such an active community.

When I say "different number", if I go into the phones Settings, and choose "About phone" and then into "Status", it lists a different phone number than the one listed on my account.

If I text a message to that new number, it sucessfully gets sent to the phone.

UPDATE: Before I posted this, I double checked the old sim, and it still works! (runs on T-mobile over here). So my guess is that the swap never went through?  Although I would swear that the original sim stopped working at one point.

I'll be back in the UK in a couple of weeks, so if there is an issue, I'm sure an O2 store can help me sort it out.  Its just so nice to have a working phone right when I step off the plane.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Message 10 of 15