Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Topics: 573
Solutions: 3,881

Re: Swap My Sim gave me a different phone number

I always understood that a sim swap had to be done in the UK whilst connected to the O2 network but I do bow down to those of greater experience in this field. Please post back how you get on.

Highlighted
Topics: 552
Solutions: 13,506

What phone are you using? I refer you back to my very first answer. If an android phone you need to write the new number to the SIM manually by using a phone that allows you to manually write to the SIM, If you are using an iphone you can change it yourself in settings.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Highlighted
Anonymous

The phone is an Android Pantech 8000, which I use as my travel phone.

Highlighted
Topics: 552
Solutions: 13,506

A oldie but goodie Smiley Wink Not seen one of thoses for a long time.

You'll need to put the SIM into a phone that will allow you to write to the SIM (an old Nokia is ideal). Once saved correctly on the SIM the new number will be replaced on all phones you put the SIM in to.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Highlighted
Topics: 295
Kudos: 1,850
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry for the delay!  Thanks for all the input. I'm so delighted to find such an active community.

When I say "different number", if I go into the phones Settings, and choose "About phone" and then into "Status", it lists a different phone number than the one listed on my account.

If I text a message to that new number, it sucessfully gets sent to the phone.

UPDATE: Before I posted this, I double checked the old sim, and it still works! (runs on T-mobile over here). So my guess is that the swap never went through?  Although I would swear that the original sim stopped working at one point.

I'll be back in the UK in a couple of weeks, so if there is an issue, I'm sure an O2 store can help me sort it out.  Its just so nice to have a working phone right when I step off the plane.

Thanks for the help everyone!

So the sim swap failed so you just need to use the old sim until you return then do the sim swap again and then modify the number as advised in other replies.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services