cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swap My Sim gave me a different phone number

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I went through the whole Swap my Sim process, it took quite a while for the old sim to turn off, and the new sim to turn on.

Unfortunately, the process did not update the phone number on the new sim.

I *am* doing all of this from within the United States, is there something that happens on the network that can only happen if I am in the UK? -John

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I always understood that a sim swap had to be done in the UK whilst connected to the O2 network but I do bow down to those of greater experience in this field. Please post back how you get on.

Message 11 of 15

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
What phone are you using? I refer you back to my very first answer. If an android phone you need to write the new number to the SIM manually by using a phone that allows you to manually write to the SIM, If you are using an iphone you can change it yourself in settings.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

The phone is an Android Pantech 8000, which I use as my travel phone.

Message 13 of 15

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
A oldie but goodie wink Not seen one of thoses for a long time.

You'll need to put the SIM into a phone that will allow you to write to the SIM (an old Nokia is ideal). Once saved correctly on the SIM the new number will be replaced on all phones you put the SIM in to.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 15

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry for the delay!  Thanks for all the input. I'm so delighted to find such an active community.

When I say "different number", if I go into the phones Settings, and choose "About phone" and then into "Status", it lists a different phone number than the one listed on my account.

If I text a message to that new number, it sucessfully gets sent to the phone.

UPDATE: Before I posted this, I double checked the old sim, and it still works! (runs on T-mobile over here). So my guess is that the swap never went through?  Although I would swear that the original sim stopped working at one point.

I'll be back in the UK in a couple of weeks, so if there is an issue, I'm sure an O2 store can help me sort it out.  Its just so nice to have a working phone right when I step off the plane.

Thanks for the help everyone!

So the sim swap failed so you just need to use the old sim until you return then do the sim swap again and then modify the number as advised in other replies.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 15 of 15