Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Re: Suspect vat refund email

@Anonymous wrote:

I have received the same email twice this evening. I shall forward it to O2 as a phishing email. What concerns me is that the email contained information about my email address, phone number, phone, its serial number and PUK code, contract details and monthly fee. The only company that knows all that info is O2. And that means that O2 have either given someone that information without my consent or it has been stolen from them. I am about to call them and ask for an explanation. 

Ok so @Anonymous has said that the email contained his:

Email address......ok keylogger maybe

Phone number.....ok keylogger maybe

Phone type......ok keylogger maybe

But his phones SERIAL NUMBER & PUK code? 

In most cases why would he type those on his keyboard? If he needed his PUK he would key that on his PHONE.  And when would he need to type his phone's serial number? ??

I don't buy this. Simon will have the email so I am sorry o2 but if Simon and others are having this then it MUST be a breach inside o2

Topics: 571
Solutions: 15,941

It's all info readily available if you have access to the users account.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Topics: 83

[ Edited ]

A keylogger runs in the background on a pc and will usually work when someone goes to a site and logs on...
It sees the following
Www.tsb.Co.UK
Sheldonfawkner2198
Password123

It now knows the username and password for that bank and will copy that page data and send it back to the scammer.
On an ipad it will see:

Nothing as the input is direct to screen with no input device to log.

Anonymous

Agreed @MI5 so given that fraudsters are not going to manually sift through the info to send a few emails out it points to a possible breach at o2 or at an o2 partner.

I wonder how many getting emails are getting towards the end of their contract as we know o2 share (sell?) our details on.

I ask as touch wood I haven't had an email but I have 5 more months of o2 to suffer
Anonymous

So @viridis is this the same for any touch screen device i.e. android, windows 8 pc's etc

In spite of whatever spin O2 want to put on it - anyone with half an ounce of knowledge into how these things work can clearly see there has been a major breach of security somewhere and it's not on users PC's......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Topics: 765

Good god...an even more sophisticated scam then.... Not sure O2 can lay the blame elsewhere?

(Struggling here but getting this slowly)...

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Topics: 83

As far as I am aware, but not looked into keyloggers for a while. Scammers move with the times so never say never.

But it would mean the scammers would have to sift through manually and log on to get the info manually too.
That just seems too slow for a scam.
Especially with the range of sites the supposed same logger would have stolen info from.

Anonymous

O2 have some explaining to do @Toby

and why aren't the voda and EE forums full of similar scams?

Currently using: