cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspect vat refund email

Anonymous
Not applicable
Today I receved an email saying "In response to an increase in VAT in the EU and currency changes, and as a result of last week's VAT-related price change, it has come to our attention that between Oct 2012 and Oct 2014 there was a system error which resulted in some of our customers paying the incorrect rate of VAT on some services.

This email had all my personal information, but asked me to follow a link to log into my account, has anyone else seen an email like this? The email looked legitimate, if anyone from O2 monitors this thread, please let me know how to report this.
Message 1 of 374
373 REPLIES 373

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have received the same email twice this evening. I shall forward it to O2 as a phishing email. What concerns me is that the email contained information about my email address, phone number, phone, its serial number and PUK code, contract details and monthly fee. The only company that knows all that info is O2. And that means that O2 have either given someone that information without my consent or it has been stolen from them. I am about to call them and ask for an explanation. 

Ok so @Anonymous has said that the email contained his:

Email address......ok keylogger maybe

Phone number.....ok keylogger maybe

Phone type......ok keylogger maybe

But his phones SERIAL NUMBER & PUK code? 

In most cases why would he type those on his keyboard? If he needed his PUK he would key that on his PHONE.  And when would he need to type his phone's serial number? ??

I don't buy this. Simon will have the email so I am sorry o2 but if Simon and others are having this then it MUST be a breach inside o2

Message 21 of 374

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's all info readily available if you have access to the users account.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 374

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

A keylogger runs in the background on a pc and will usually work when someone goes to a site and logs on...
It sees the following
Www.tsb.Co.UK
Sheldonfawkner2198
Password123

It now knows the username and password for that bank and will copy that page data and send it back to the scammer.
On an ipad it will see:

Nothing as the input is direct to screen with no input device to log.

Message 23 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
Agreed @MI5 so given that fraudsters are not going to manually sift through the info to send a few emails out it points to a possible breach at o2 or at an o2 partner.

I wonder how many getting emails are getting towards the end of their contract as we know o2 share (sell?) our details on.

I ask as touch wood I haven't had an email but I have 5 more months of o2 to suffer
Message 24 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
So @viridis is this the same for any touch screen device i.e. android, windows 8 pc's etc
Message 25 of 374

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
In spite of whatever spin O2 want to put on it - anyone with half an ounce of knowledge into how these things work can clearly see there has been a major breach of security somewhere and it's not on users PC's......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 26 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Good god...an even more sophisticated scam then.... Not sure O2 can lay the blame elsewhere?

(Struggling here but getting this slowly)...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 374

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
As far as I am aware, but not looked into keyloggers for a while. Scammers move with the times so never say never.

But it would mean the scammers would have to sift through manually and log on to get the info manually too.
That just seems too slow for a scam.
Especially with the range of sites the supposed same logger would have stolen info from.
Message 28 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 have some explaining to do @Toby
Message 29 of 374

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
and why aren't the voda and EE forums full of similar scams?

Currently using:
Message 30 of 374