Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

St Lucia - O2 travel but no internet

LesleyH
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

We've just arrived in St Lucia and as the plane landed I received the "welcome to St Lucia it will cost you £4.99 a day" message that we usually receive when we arrive abroad.

I can see the carrier at the top of the screen (Digicel), I can make a call and the GPS works. There is "R" by the signal level but we have no connection to the internet.

We both have roaming turned on (we travel a lot) so that isn't the problem.

As it's both of us, can anyone think what the problem might be?

I have a Pixel 6 and my husband has a Pixel 4XL..

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm doing this on the WiFi.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144096 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@LesleyH 

I would guess an issue with Digicel.

Try manually searching for a different network.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

LesleyH
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. There's no other option available when I manually search. There appears to be an ongoing problem with St Lucia as when I searched this forum, I'm not alone.

Rather than try to get any sense out of o2 (some of the CS agents mentioned in other threads didn't know that St Lucia exists), I plan to go to Rodney Bay and buy a local SIM.

I'll take it up with o2 when we get back.

Message 3 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10134 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions

@LesleyH wrote:

Thanks. There's no other option available when I manually search. There appears to be an ongoing problem with St Lucia as when I searched this forum, I'm not alone.

Rather than try to get any sense out of o2 (some of the CS agents mentioned in other threads didn't know that St Lucia exists), I plan to go to Rodney Bay and buy a local SIM.

Trust me Travel Agents are just as bad, as some don't know anywhere outside of Benidorm, as I have one who didn't know where Hong Kong is, and to be fair Geography may not be a strong point of some people... 

It does sound like an issue with the local network, and how they are provisioning data roaming, as if your are getting the R then roaming is working, and GPS is not bound to data, it is bound to Satellites 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144096 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@LesleyH wrote:

I plan to go to Rodney Bay and buy a local SIM.

That's the sensible (and likely cheaper option) @LesleyH 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5