Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spend Caps?

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

I received a text from O2 on 1st October referring me to the link below regarding spend caps;

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/spend-cap

This advises, in summary, that I can add a spend cap of £0, £5, £10, £15, £20, £30, £60, £100 or £200 by calling Customer Services. I called Customer Services today who were adamant that it could NOT be applied to my account.

I find this most frustrating that having been offered something by text, that it CANNOT be added to give me some financial protection.

Anyone else facing the same issue?

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dgilbert2
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

This has now been resolved, thank you O2.

As was being concluded in the above posts, spend caps are only available to new or upgrading contracts post 1st October 2018. However, I should not of received the text that I did, so I've been sorted out, I guess by exception.

As a final comment on this, it does seem surprising that O2 have taken the Ofcom ruling quite literally and will not allow existing customers to add a spend cap if they request it. Some networks already do this and use it as part of their marketing strategy. We live in a world where any initiatives to offer customers financial protections, for some of us at least, is regarded with the highest level of importance.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's new for O2 so not surprised it hasn't been trained out to customer services yet.
Call again and you might get someone who knows about it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 18

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
@dgilbert2 What tariff are you on? Was your contract taken directly with O2 or with a third party? Do you know that you can keep an eye on your spending on your MyO2 page?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 18

dgilbert2
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

I took out my tariff 12 days ago, O2 1000 24M 3GB from CPW.

Yes, I am aware of the MYO2 app for keeping an eye on things, but that can only provide retrospective information.

Why offer me something (which is a really helpful cost free option) and then not be able to provide it. I see no exclusions on the linked web page above.

Message 4 of 18

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
As I said, call again and speak to a different operator.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 18

dgilbert2
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

@MI5, just tried again, same result. Apparently its only for contracts post 1st October. Seems so silly, especially when mine is only 12 days old. 

Message 6 of 18

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Ah i see. Yes I knew it was new but wasn’t aware of the date thing. Sorry mate.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 18

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
@dgilbert2 Spending caps from O2 are very new. First time I'd heard of it. Until now, no one had that option at all. Having your contract though CPW may be an obstacle, so you'll need to speak to customer service to clarify this. If you're that worried about your spend, checking your MyO2 on a daily basis is hardly retrospective. If you check at the end of the day, you'll know where you are for the next so you can adjust.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 18

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

We have a;ways wanted caps on minutes and texts but this s so new that it's little wonder customer service know diddly squat about this. I'm on contract and have never rrceived auch a text but it would be very helpful for parents to be able to place a cap on their children/s usage.I await the text......                  i'

Message 9 of 18

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
O2 moving with the times ?

Currently using:
Message 10 of 18