Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Only and Insurance

johnmccrossan19
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I did not upgrade at the end of my previous contract but bought a new phone in Tesco and changed to a Sim Only plan,that was in September past I have been charged £6 per month for Insurance since ,How do I recover my money I don't think I should have to pay for Insurance I don't want and should have expired at the end of my contract can anyone help
kind regards
Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You should have cancelled when the contract ended.
Try calling customer service to see what they say about a refund http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@johnmccrossan19 I would doubt that you'll be able to recover those payments. Insurance is separate from your contract, and the responsibility for cancelling the insurance is yours.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 12

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You should have cancelled when the contract ended.
Try calling customer service to see what they say about a refund http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

The onus is on you to cancel your insurance not O2

Message 4 of 12

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

johnmccrossan19
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for your post but I thought the Insurance I was paying was just for the length of the contract,O2 have been aware that I have been using a different phone since I took out Sim Only contract,I don't think it is very fair,how do I go about cancelling the Insurance ,by the way when I talked to a lady via O2 Chat she told me that it would show on my next bill ,October 2017 but nothing changed,the phone I am using now cost me just over £70,would you pay £6 to insure it
kind regards
Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Personally, I wouldn't pay insurance on any handset, but that's just me and it doesn't alter the fact that it's your responsibility to call cs to cancel the policy.
Not that it's checked, but you could have passed the phone onto another family member and wanted to keep the insurance running to cover it.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@johnmccrossan19wrote:
Thanks for your post but I thought the Insurance I was paying was just for the length of the contract,O2 have been aware that I have been using a different phone since I took out Sim Only contract,I don't think it is very fair,how do I go about cancelling the Insurance ,by the way when I talked to a lady via O2 Chat she told me that it would show on my next bill ,October 2017 but nothing changed,the phone I am using now cost me just over £70,would you pay £6 to insure it

How would O2 be aware that you were using a different phone? You could be using the sim only contract sim in the same phone. Is it a Tesco phone and Tesco sim? If so, it wouldn't show to O2. Tesco uses the O2 network, but the rest is their own.

I'm sorry to say that knowing what charges were going out of your account is your responsibility. That is something you should be aware of, and no one else.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 12

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm not sure what live chat were doing telling you they had cancelled the insurance but indeed it has to be done over the phone. Never assume anything with O2 these days and always

• Check the terms & conditions 
  • Check your bank accounts regularly 
Message 9 of 12

johnmccrossan19
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
O2 knew the device I was using they also knew and know that it is an 02 pay monthly sim card,I bought the phone in Tesco but it is not a Tesco Sim,every e mail you send from your phone tells the recipient the name of your device
kind regards
Message 10 of 12