cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocking Network Coverage in TS14

Anonymous
Not applicable

For a month now the, frankly atrocious, 'coverage' in Guisborough has been even worse giving sporadic drop outs and interesting texts taking up to four hours to arrive.  This, in addition to the fact that the area does not have access to 3G services despite 'half the world' now using 4G.  As usual we are subsidising the people receiving 4G signals.

IF, (notice the capital letters) the 2G service was reliable there might be some compensation in this situation but the reality is that the service is below standard.

'Customer Service' is of no help whatsoever, simply applying the standard platitudes to keep us in contract and being milked to support the 4G programme elsewhere in the country.  When questioned as to the potential roll out of 3G and reliable 2G service the answer is 'soon'.  I have been told 'soon' for over two years!  Please quantify 'soon'.

What is the difficulty in publishing their schedule of developement?  We would at least know where we stood.  

Ah, the rhetorical question.  We know why.  There is no immediate possibility of 3G here and O2 know that if that were to become public knowledge, customers would leave in droves as 3G is available from other network providers.

The response to poor 2G is that 'we are working on it'.  No hint of what the issue may be.  the fact that the mast is very isolated with respect to the area it 'serves' could be one factor.  No wonder the signal is poor - it has a long way to travel.  Poor thing, it is worn out by the time it gets to your handset.

I am a long term customer of O2, having used their network when it was 'CellNet', but my misplaced loyalty is being stretched to its limit.  I have a smart phone.  I should like to enjoy the smart phone services for which I pay a premium.  I do not expect to have to put up with intermittent, 1980's analogue style, dumb phone service.

I would have communicated this to O2 by text................................ but they would not have received it until tomorrow.

I know I am not alone.

Come on O2, come clean, tell the public the truth.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Notwithstanding the population, it looks like you're on the edge of the Yorkshire Moors. That looks pretty remote to me. I ask again, do any of the other networks provide better coverage?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 11 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
We may live on the edge of the North York moors but we are only 7 miles from Middlesbrough and Redcar who receive full uninterrupted 3G! Also I regularly travel through the Shetland Islands and in remote parts of the island get a phone signal so mainland UK have no excuse!!!
Message 12 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bambino, judging by your interpretation of remote you must live in Kensington.......:smileyhappy:

or at least south of Watford Gap.......

Message 13 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Answering your own question is not what is needed. When you pay top dollar for a service that has worked in a very on off fashion. You would and should expect a customer service that fits the price paid over many years.
Message 14 of 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Answering your own question is not what is needed. When you pay top dollar for a service that has worked in a very on off fashion. You would and should expect a customer service that fits the price paid over many years.

You must be confusing me with an O2 employee.........?

No one is arguing with the concept of a good signal but it's just not possible everywhere.

If a customer knows the signal is poor where they live I don't understand why they would stay with that network, unless of course, it's much worse on the other networks.......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

The signal on 2G has been fine for years, it is only recently that it has become unreliable.  O2 says it is working on it........

There are other explanations of course.  The great Great Ayton debacle for one.  Ayton is a town 12 miles away that had a perfect 2G Vodafool signal until September.  It is now pathetic.  Intermittent at best.  Vodafool stated that THEY were working on it.....  Transpired that a mast sharing deal had gone sour and that political ramifications had resulted in signal degredation........  Switch off in other words.

Something similar 'could' be happening here.  All fine one minute, utter pants the next.

I was under the impression that O2 were sharing infrastructure in an attempt to speed up their roll out.  What happened to that?  (Not a rehtorical question)

The reason for not jumping network is partly a best of bad bunch situation.  Voda and EEk might ogffer 3G locally but once 'over the moor' their signal degrades.

Come on O2 do something.  You MUST monitor these posts..................its your forum after all.

Jockster88 perhaps mistook you for an O2 employee as your posts are so reminiscent of the customer 'service' platitudes.

Message 16 of 23

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Bambino, judging by your interpretation of remote you must live in Kensington.......:smileyhappy:

or at least south of Watford Gap.......

Yes I do live south of the Watford Gap, but nowhere near Kensington. I live in a different part of London, which has a slightly larger population than where you are. I grew up in New York City, and there were probably 20,000 people living on my street, so it's not a big number for me. Happy Dance

Apart from all that, you still haven't answered my question, which I will ask again for the third and last time. Do any of the other networks give you better coverage than you're currently getting from O2? I have no vested interest in this. I don't work for O2.

Edit: I see now you have answered my question...sort of. O2 don't monitor this forum. It's customer to customer. There are moderators who work for O2, but I doubt they pass on complaints. You need to do that yourself right here: http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 17 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Complaints would appear to fall on deaf ears my friend.  If you have lived in New York I guess we are remote.

The answer to your other networks question has been answered a number of times.  3G is possible in the town but their 2G coverage is poor in the rural area wheras O2 is slightly better in the rural area but 3G is non existent in town.  All pretty poor really

Message 18 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
What about the infrastructure sharing?
Message 19 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
MI5
A good signal is possible here - if you have a mast..... that is not miles away and serving an area twice the normal size.

I believe the phrase required is 'Investment in Infrastructure'

but hey, we are in the North East......
Message 20 of 23