cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Deposit Refund for Returned Handset

Anonymous
Not applicable

On the 12th May I ordered a Samsung Galaxy S6.

I had to pay a £49.99 upfromt payment and in addition 02 wanted a £350.00 security deposit, which I paid.

I then decided that I did not want the handset or contract so on the 18th May I returned the device to 02, unused and still sealed within the 14 day cooling off period.

On the 27th May I received an email from 02 saying  "We have refunded the charge today onto your payment card".

Upon checking my bank statement I noticed the 02 had only refunded the £49.99 upfront payment and not the £350.00 security deposit so I contacted 02 and was told that I will receive the £350.00 within 10 days, however I was still baffled as to why it wasn't returned with the £49.99.

After waiting a few days the £350.00 had still not been refunded and in addition 02 had taken a further £24.80 Initial payment by direct debit. I then used the live chat a couple of times and was told not to worry the £350.00 refund had been processed and will be in my bank in 5 days.

5 days later and still no £350.00 refund so I rany 02 and they are now telling me that I will receive my £350.00 refund 10 working days after the disconnection date which was the 8th June.  

I am sick of banging my head against the wall and being told something different every time I contact 02. Absolute disgrace and dreadfull customer services from 02.

Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous

It's 5 working days to refund it back to a card and 10 working days to refund it back to a Bank account.

The 49.00 will be done automatically by the system once the Handset has been returned, so that's why you got that one fairly quickly, but the deposit has to be requested manually and refunded back to the bank account. You will also get the other 24.00 refunded with the deposit.

Just out of curiosity when you called,where you told if your account was closed down or active?

Message 21 of 52

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions

O2 have just about finished using steam power @Anonymous but I'm sure they've been making interest on your money over the last few weeks. You should ask for that as well.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 22 of 52

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
That's a ridiculous amount of time to wait! I really don't blame you for blowing off steam (no pun intended) on here. Whoever said "it's in the system" really want helping, maybe they didn't read the whole thread.

Please update us as to what happens, it'll help when advising future ppl who find themselves in your situation.

Good luck

Charlie.
Message 23 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

When i rang they couldn't trace my details via the mobile number as it had been disconnected, but they could find my details via the 02 account number.

Message 24 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good. slight_smile Just making sure everything goes ok.

Message 25 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

The £350.00 security deposit was paid by debir card. O2 claim that they processed the refund on Monday 8th of June so 5 working days would have meant that I would have received the refund on the 12th June or at the very latest on the16th June (tomorrow).

I am not holding much hope of receiving the refund tomorrow as 02 have sated different dates every time I have contacted them.

It is an absolute disgrace!

Message 26 of 52

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

It is an absolute disgrace!

Couldn't agree more mate..,good luck with this.

Message 27 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE

So, i checked my bank account this morning and still now refund. The last contact I had with 02 I was told that the refund had been processed on the 8th June.

It still baffles me that 02 took the £49.99 upfront payment & £350.00 security deposit at the same time on the same debit card transaction but couldn't refund both transactions at the same time and only process the £49.99 on the 28th May.

I decided to contact 02 AGAIN via web chat only to be told something different AGAIN.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02: On 8th June, It was forwarded to payments management team then they've released it completely on 11th Jun'15

ME: I paid the security deposit by debit card, what payment method has been used for the refund?

02: A BACS payment

ME: Do you have a BACS tranfer reference for the transaction?

02: Don't have the reference for transaction, Please be assured, amount will definitely credited to your account within 1-2 working days.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, 02 have made a BACS transfer on the 11th June 2015.  BACS payments take 3 working days to clear so I should have received the refund today or at a push the very latest will be tomorrow

Message 28 of 52

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Hope they are right about it being paid by BACs transfer, if so tomorrow at the latest.

Message 29 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's got to the stage where I don't believe anything 02 tell me.

If the payment is not in my bank tomorrow then I will ring my bank and ask them tif it's possible to make a debit card chargeback claim, if not it's a claim in the county court againd 02.

Message 30 of 52