cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Deposit Refund for Returned Handset

Anonymous
Not applicable

On the 12th May I ordered a Samsung Galaxy S6.

I had to pay a £49.99 upfromt payment and in addition 02 wanted a £350.00 security deposit, which I paid.

I then decided that I did not want the handset or contract so on the 18th May I returned the device to 02, unused and still sealed within the 14 day cooling off period.

On the 27th May I received an email from 02 saying  "We have refunded the charge today onto your payment card".

Upon checking my bank statement I noticed the 02 had only refunded the £49.99 upfront payment and not the £350.00 security deposit so I contacted 02 and was told that I will receive the £350.00 within 10 days, however I was still baffled as to why it wasn't returned with the £49.99.

After waiting a few days the £350.00 had still not been refunded and in addition 02 had taken a further £24.80 Initial payment by direct debit. I then used the live chat a couple of times and was told not to worry the £350.00 refund had been processed and will be in my bank in 5 days.

5 days later and still no £350.00 refund so I rany 02 and they are now telling me that I will receive my £350.00 refund 10 working days after the disconnection date which was the 8th June.  

I am sick of banging my head against the wall and being told something different every time I contact 02. Absolute disgrace and dreadfull customer services from 02.

Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122977 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I absolutely agree @Anonymous

It is annoying but the only thing you can do is keep pushing them...by making a 'nuisance' of yourself....

You can make a complaint here

http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 52

MI5
  • 144426 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
It always seems to get messy when a contract is cancelled or altered, for some reason. If you are not getting satisfaction from CS all I can suggest is that you raise a complaint http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not messing about anymore, fed up with the rubish they are telling me and I am sending the following on Monday.

FINAL NOTICE BEFORE LEGAL ACTION

Dear Head of Legal,

I am writing to you regarding an outstanding payment due to me regarding a security deposit refund to the value of £350.00. My order was returned to you within the 14 day cooling off period however despite several telephone calls and contact via live chat I am still waiting for the refund.

If the full outstanding sum of £350.00 is not paid within 14 days of the date of this letter I will begin legal action, without warning, for a court order requiring payment.

This letter is being sent to you in accordance with the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct contained in the Civil Procedure Rules which stipulates you should acknowledge receipt of this letter within 14 days.

I await the immediate payment of the outstanding amount

Message 4 of 52

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Big wheels grind slow, you'll get your money, but I doubt your threat of action will work as you haven't followed the complaint procedure.

Let us know how you get on.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 52

Cleoriff
  • 122977 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Regardless of the fact that you have to follow the complaints procedure.... it is a damn good letter and I do hope you get resolution asap (In your case I would be trying everything) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not a threat!

O2 state on the website...

If you have a complaint

Our service teams are in the best position to deal with your complaint and should be the first people you contact. You can contact them by web chat, phone, or letter.

I have contacted 02 with my complaint 3 times by web chat and once by phone and every time I am told something different, so in my opinion the route has been exahusted. 

Message 7 of 52

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I have contacted 02 with my complaint 3 times by web chat and once by phone and every time I am told something different, so in my opinion the route has been exahusted. 

Sadly not, reading the full page would have shown you the compaints procedure, including arbitration if you can't get an agreement.

The point is they haven't refused to pay, they're just not as quick as you feel they should be, not in my view a cause for legal action.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 52

MI5
  • 144426 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Officially (legally), the route isn't exhausted until o2 refuse to refund you and you have a deadlock letter from CRS, (not normal CS).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

If this is the way 02 treat customers then I am so glad I decided to go with EE.

EE required no security deposit, no upfront payment and £1 cheaper per month + free wireless charging plate.

Message 10 of 52