Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam call

Kirst
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hello so I got a scam call of someone trying to tell me that after checking my pay I had missed played tax, after working out this was a scam call, I hung up, however I've been charged £77 for the ringing me. Am I able to get this money back. Thank you
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You'll have to call O2 to ask https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Coronavirus-Covid-19-Community-Help-and-Su...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Yes definitely, @jonsie.  If I don't recognise the caller, I don't answer. If it's a call I should take because it's important, they'll leave a voice mail.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

There are some terrible scum out there who will take advantage of this awful situation.

HMRC have put put a warning about it here

https://www.icaew.com/insights/tax-news/2020/mar-2020/covid19-hmrc-warns-about-scam-emails-and-texts 

Although this relates to texts and emails, they are obviously going for calls now!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 6

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35233 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

But very annoying where a medical practice calls you from a "Number withheld" line - hospital switchboards too are often programmed this way. 

The NHS telecoms contracts admins should make this fix a priority, at least to transmit a base CLI that matches the main hospital number or a centralised number.

GP practices should tell their telecoms provider the same thing. 

Withholding a number is not the best way to mask the direct extension number of individual GP's or Practice Nurse's desk phone details. 

Message 6 of 6