Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in O2 Travel Inclusive Zone - Hotspot / Tethering

FrankS
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, My apologies if this is answered somewhere else but with all the changes going on AND the shed loads of different Ts & Cs on the O2 website I would like an answer to what should be a quick question.

I am eligible for VOLT benefits (O2 and Virgin media products in the household) so I get the O2 Travel Inclusive Zone "Bolt On" as a free extra.

Question:  When roaming (either in the EU or in a different Inclusive Zone country (e.g. Australia)) can I use my smartphone as a Hotspot for Tethering my laptop to the internet with no restrictions other than the ones applicable to using the phone alone?  The current set of Ts & Cs (I think this is the right one - https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2travel-paymonthly-terms-and-conditions ) says in the restrictions section "O2 Travel is for smartphone use only and not for use via other devices."  Does anyone understand the relationship of this phrase to using the smarphone as a hotspot?

In an older set of Ts & Cs from 2017 (There is a shed load of different Ts & Cs on the O2 website) it specifically says that using the handset as a hotspot is not allowed - see item 7 in the Terms in the bottom half of the page https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/archive/mobile/o2travel-paymonthly-terms-and-conditions-from...

So - can I or can't I use the smartphone as a hotspot when in the EU or Australia (as an example)???  I simply do not know and O2 haven't made it exactly simple to understand by using the phrase "via other devices" in what I think are the current Ts&Cs.

Thanks anyone who can provide a definite answer.  F

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27705 Solutions

@FrankS 

Yes, you can use phone as a hotspot.

EU data use is restricted to 25gb per billing cycle.

Outside of the EU, data speed is restricted to 0.5mbps, so tethering will be pointless, although in theory, will work.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27705 Solutions

@FrankS 

Yes, you can use phone as a hotspot.

EU data use is restricted to 25gb per billing cycle.

Outside of the EU, data speed is restricted to 0.5mbps, so tethering will be pointless, although in theory, will work.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

FrankS
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

MI5 thank you for the response.

WOW, if what you said is correct in all regions that that benefit is of very little practical use when travelling.  The ability to make calls etc. could be a big benefit but anyone who relies on mobile data (Social Media etc. including photos) it is a real limitation.  If this limit is everywhere in my example EU and Australia) does it apply to using the internet on a handset or just when tethering / acting as a hotspot - I don't expect MI5 to answer this but I would hope O2 could do so.

It would be good if someone from O2 who monitors / moderates the community could respond with an official response to explain the numbers nd rules rather than a catch all phrase around "traffic limiting / management".  Let's hope someone can come back and explain to clarify for us all.

Thanks again, F

Message 3 of 6

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36050 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1600 Solutions

O2 staff put together this guide, @FrankS - whilst it does not cater for all issues encountered while roaming, nor special cases such as tethering, it gives sound advice on what to expect and where - Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

See if it helps answer some of your points.

Remember too you can often but a local PAYG SIM in the country you are travelling in, and use it for data when away from WiFi.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 6

FrankS
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello pgn, thanks for the pointer.  I had already had a look at those pages when I was searching for information on the community pages and they are good and informative but not on some specific queries such as tethering (as you say in your post).

It is difficult to know what to expect when travelling in terms of data speeds etc. and it feels like the connection / service may not always be what is expected.  Once again, if O2 could give us all a clue on a country by country (or region by region) basis as to what service to expect it would help with sensible decision making (about how to prepare and what to do on arrival) before actually arriving in the specific country.  This is something EVERY network providercould do so it isn't just O2.

Thanks again for your input.  F

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27705 Solutions

@FrankS 

It's broken down into 2 scenarios.

1 - EU roaming. Full speed available from the local network you are connected to. Either directly on device or when tethering.

2 - Anything outside of EU. Data throttled to 0.5mbps regardless of device direct or tethering.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6