cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting a specific mobile number (last few digits) - who do I contact?

busybeeathome
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Good afternoon,

I would like to make a request with O2 to personalise the last 6 digits of my mobile number. The team on Twitter told me I could do it by calling Customer Services on 202 - so I did. I called twice and both times the people that I spoke to said it's not something they offer, and could change my number to a random number only.

So I tried the team on live chat, they told me to ring Customer Services. So again I rang Customer Services and they said they understand what I'm asking, but it's not something they can do. Again they offered to change my number but to a randomly allocated number.

I've searched and searched for a contact email address and I cannot find anything at all. I've made it clear that I understand there is a charge for this service and I am more than happy to pay that charge if I can get the number combination that I'm after.

I know this is a public forum but does anyone know which team I need to speak to and how I can get in touch with them without jumping through hoops?

Thank you

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

KingAmo
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 287 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 30 Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@busybeeathome As far as I'm aware, O2 don't offer that service. Using Google, however, I found these: https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=LzXFXob_Eqq-ggeQ3pPABA&q=personalised+mobile+number&oq=...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 17

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@busybeeathome

You can buy personalised numbers on Ebay and then port the number across
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 17

busybeeathome
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks everyone. I'm a little suspicious of buying a personalised number from eBay, as they seem quite low in price. I'd rather buy directly from the network but if it's a service they no longer offer then I will have to just leave it - but thank you all.

Message 5 of 17

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@busybeeathome The link I gave you above has options other than eBay, but it's ultimately your decision as to how to go about it, or not, as the case may be.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 17

busybeeathome
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Evening all,

So I've been back on to Live Chat today. They told me that O2 DEFININTELY supply numbers upon request and they are charged based on different tiers of gold / silver / bronze. They said Customer Services can take the request over the phone to log a request for the number, and I will be contacted back with my options and prices. 

So, I called Customer Service again today. Spoke to a lovely lady, she said she would check with a colleague about this, as she hadn't been asked this question before. She came back on the line and said sorry, they're not aware of being able to supply numbers. I explained that I am not asking for the full 11 digits, just the last 6, so ANY O2 prefix would be fine. She said she can change my number for me, but can't guarantee what it will be, but that she had done 3 number changes so far today and they all started with 079366 so she thought I would get a number from this group, I was greatful for the info and she was very clearly trying to do her best to help but it didn't cover what I wanted at all.

So back to live chat it was. The person I spoke to checked with their supervisor, and told me that the only way to do it is via customer services on the phone, as they don't have the relevant access on chat. They said customer service have to log it with another team because they have to check from a certain pool of numbers whether it can be allocated - which makes total sense.

So, in a last attempt to try and get a definitive answer - is there ANYONE at all such as a moderator ofr community expert that can confirm to me whether this is a service that O2 offers or whether they don't. I just want to know whether to persue it, or just give it up. The latter is sounding more likely.

Message 7 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Martin-O2 

@Marjo 

@LukasB  ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 17

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There have been threads about these type of numbers before

They are classed as Gold - Silver - Bronze numbers so you need to ask specifically for these

I'm not sure whether any of these would cover your desired combination

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Gold-Number/td-p/21968

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/how-long-for-a-bronze-number-request-to-be-processed/m-p/1...

Message 9 of 17

busybeeathome
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you. I did mention those terms on my call earlier but the advisor said there's nothing like that description that she can see.

Those threads are helpful, particularly the one with the prices. Thank you.

I'd just like to add that I completely understand that such a request is not urgent and I totally appreciate that a team that deals with this kind of thing might not be available at the moment, but I just need to know whether it's possible or not - that's the bit I'm struggling with at the moment. Hopefully someone tagged above might be able to shed some light.

Thanks everyone for being helpful in trying to help me find the answer.
Message 10 of 17