cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing an old (large!) SIM

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a new Iphone6 and yet my O2 SIM was last used in an Iphone3, meaning it is huge, and far too large for the now micro (nano?) size used in the Iphone6. My problem is I am currently living overseas, so is there anyway I can address this issue, or will I need to deal with it on my next return to the UK (i.e. visit an O2 shop)? Advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122126 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

hi

I suppose you could always ask a friend to get the correct size sim for you and send it to you abroad?

Other than that..or using a local sim you will have to wait until you return to the UK...

Edited to ask...did you buy the iPhone 6 in the UK before you went abroad? If so how long ago did you buy it?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 12

MI5
  • 143188 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
You can have CS post you out a new sim but they will only send to your registered address. You could do this and have a relative forward it on to you or as you say, just deal with it in store when you are back in the UK.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can get sim-cutters on ebay/amazon etc, or take it into a phone shop near you and they may have that equipment. Only thing is, if the sim is as old as you say, i v much doubt it will work on 4G. I don't know if that was a factor in you upgrading your device.

Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122126 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

You can get sim-cutters on ebay/amazon etc, or take it into a phone shop near you and they may have that equipment. Only thing is, if the sim is as old as you say, i v much doubt it will work on 4G. I don't know if that was a factor in you upgrading your device.

Add to all that.......there is the problem that the OP is living abroad currently.....they would have to go the route of a new sim being sent to them I think?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

PM me your address and I'll post a nano sim out to you. However I'm not sure whether the sim swap online would work or whether you would need to phone customer service to get them to do it.

Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122126 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

PM me your address and I'll post a nano sim out to you. However I'm not sure whether the sim swap online would work or whether you would need to phone customer service to get them to do it.

Or...they could just keep the number of the new sim I suppose @jonsie ? At least then they would have a working phone?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122126 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

No it's a blank sim unfortunately....

Really? I thought every sim came with its own phone number?.....It certainly used to...when did this change?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

They send them out when you are keeping your number or merely swapping sims. They just have a SSN and are provisioned with data for either P&G or monthly. The one you received from O2 for the Note 3 would have been blank too.

You can buy from a store but you need to top them up.

Message 10 of 12