Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really slow 4G speeds

sjw211
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 21 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My 4G speeds have gone really poor from around a month or so ago.  Service status says there are no problems in my area.

Speeds are often less than 1Mbps but are very rarely above 2.

I temporarily switched to 3G and actually got about 7.  Does this simply mean O2 have too many users to serve expected speeds?

Is there anything I can do?

Screenshot_20220903_110210_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126008 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

We often advise people to drop down to 3g @sjw211.

You can check these guides and see if they help Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Guide: Do you have poor coverage / signal Indoors? This may help Explain / resolve itAlso, download the My Network app where you report issues and get updates https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

sjw211
  • 21 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - do you mean keep it on 3G?

I'm only around 400m as the crow flies from a mast, across a field.  I think I'll take a walk later on and see what speeds I get there.  I used to get 40Mbps+ consistently.  We have three O2 phones in the house and they've all gone slow.

Message 3 of 7

sjw211
  • 21 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I took a walk to the mast and did a Speed Test using the My Network App.  It didn't even make 1Mbps!  I couldn't open this website while I was there.  Surely there's an issue.

Screenshot_20220904_111517_uk.co.o2.android.mynetwork.jpg

Message 4 of 7

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7934 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1652 Solutions

How near to the mast? There is a dead area under masts. Take a 30° angle downwards from the antenna and stand there.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 7

sjw211
  • 21 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did a few, ranging from 100m or so away, 50 and under it.  They were all pretty similar.  As mentioned, I live about 400m from it, across a field and it's very poor at home too - but used to be fine.  Coverage map is solid blue all around where I live.

Message 6 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11596 Posts
  • 64 Topics
  • 3163 Solutions

@sjw211 

You re too close to your local mast, and you will be connected to the next mast along, rather than the mast closest to you, as that could have its antennae pointed in a different direction to you. 

Have a look on cellmapper.net, and it will tell you which mast covers your area..

--
iPhone 16 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 7 of 7