cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re working out how not to be ripped off

Anonymous
Not applicable

I only use my phone very little but my cars inormataion system runs Apple I bought phone Iphone5 so that I could drive safely hands-free (as I'm disabled) and I have only ever used pay as you go, and yes you have to pay up front but atleast you avoid being ripped off every month, (os so I thought...silly me) and I soon learnt about the micro sim and network lock in to 02, ,but it does not end there, t5hey continue to rip us off by taking a £1 everytime I open my phone, and they demand your account details or you can't register or do anything with your  Ludicrously expensive IPHONE 5, but then 02  demands the same your account details and make it almost impossible to not get riupped off as you navigate network and phone, and as a disabled person (head injury) working out all the stuff that is hidden in the long legal and general Blurb that is foisted on you ,and the writing is almost impossible to read, (yes I should have read) but hey it's  just a phone and if you only use it when you have to , what can go wrong !!!!!

Right then' First of all controlled myself and was given a free chat (but only to get you to sign up for other bolt on's) which if you laid out a lot of money to make sure you will be safe in always having a phone that works.

Sorry the gist of what I'm saying is that navigating these new phones and netwok lock in's only leaves a very large hole in your bank balance and if your suffering financially then your phone is just another expense you do not need.

But as I now have it I would like to avoid the hidden little gem's that some spiv managed to sneak into the contract , this little gem makes millions from people like me before we manage to work out what not to do ,only to be told you have to switch it on  to do anything, after a long, long chat with some supposed live person who told me to switch it off,.

Anyway anyone else been led by the nose into this trap of IPHONE and 02 service that only wants to get money from your bank every month, and who put supposed live person to apologise for ripping you off ,and does not explain that you can't use any network but O2, but they will gladly steal your money every month, but hey they are the best network  in the market.

Seriously how does someone like myself avoid being further ripped off through my ignorance (disability) around not being able to retrieve information  unless I repeat it a thousand times, but no amount of repeating can get me an O2 network, from home, or be allowed by 02 to access other networks , like say my home one.

Please excuse my initial sarcastical post to the forum It's just that I've spent so many hours trying to get my iphone working on my home network and get my financial pay as you go sorted out, (thats another one' pay as you go' thats a laugh, they want you to top up every month or else)    Sorry I'm just trying to avoid paying more and more for a service I will hardly use, any advice please                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23161 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

You can now get your Iphone 5 unlocked, if you don't want to stay with O2. As far as getting the phone to work on your home network, maybe you should ask someone to help you set up your WiFi connection to the phone, so you don't have to keep running up expensive data charges.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Switch your mobile data off to avoid charges

Message 3 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144689 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
Sorry, but you've lost me.

Can you post your questions separately in a numbered order and refrain from all the "theft" accusations, which are completely false anyway, and we'll do our best to help out.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I'm confused too. Why buy a smartphone without considering the data aspect? 

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

confused & dizzy from trying to read it but go onto pay as you go in future & possibly just a basic cheap phone

Message 6 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Or perhaps just buy a TomTom?

A smartphone without a data plan either P&G or Monthly will undoubtedly incur costs every time you switch it on unless disabling mobile data. It then just becomes a standard phone.

This applies to all networks, not just O2 but as the phone can be unlocked, subject to any contractual commitments you are free to try any of them.

Message 7 of 7