cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re use of an eSIM when travelling in Asia?

JMI
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 28 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Good morning,

I have searched the existing eSIM questions, but can’t find an answer., so if someone could help I would really appreciate it.

in a months time we are travelling to Singapore, Vietnam and Thailand and I can see that O2 doesn’t have any agreement with theses regarding O2 travel inclusive costs etc.  

I read that a solution is getting an eSIM to use whilst in these countries, as it’s lots cheaper than the O2 charges.  They seem to be using Airola to get the eSIM.  
However, I am very confused as my iPhone 14 Pro will accept an eSIM but my phone uses an actual SIM card and not an eSIM - so does this mean I have to remove my O2 SIM when I want to use the eSIM? Can I use them both together?  How will the phone know which one I want it to use?

I know to keep my data roaming off when in, for example Singapore, to stop O2 charges, but if I turn my data roaming off - surely that stops the eSIM working too?

i am so confused as this is a classic case of an ‘elderly’ person trying her best to understand and latest technology but failing to understand the basics of how it works. 😭

Airola and Nomad sort of explain how it works, but I still don’t understand how I can switch between the two (I will have access to WiFi occasionally) .

I only want to be able to label my photos with location, which is why I’m wanting to get an eSIM.  As with data roaming off it won’t label the photos and I will forget where the photos are taken!!

Any basic, low level, explanation anyone can give me to I understand a little better, would be much appreciated.

thank in advance, and sorry to ask such a dumb question

Jean x

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148695 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@JMI 

You can have both a physical sim and an esim and you select which one to use in the phone settings once the esim is installed.

You can also choose to turn off the physical sim completely so you don't get any O2 charges.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 148695 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@JMI 

You can have both a physical sim and an esim and you select which one to use in the phone settings once the esim is installed.

You can also choose to turn off the physical sim completely so you don't get any O2 charges.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 6

JMI
  • 28 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you MI5,

is it easy to turn off / on the physical SIM, I’ve looked under the mobile service tab but cant see it?

once I hav an eSIM installed will the phone ask me which SIM I want to use?

thank you

Jean  

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 148695 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@JMI 

The settings won't show until you have installed the esim and yes, it's as simple as moving a switch.

Message 4 of 6

JMI
  • 28 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much, I will be brave and purchase an eSIM 👍

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 148695 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

You'll be fine @JMI 

It will make more sense once you have it installed.

Message 6 of 6