Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential fraud??

Lala8
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just received a call from 'No caller ID' and when I answered 'Steve' told me he was from O2's security department. He advised me that an upgrade had been requested on my account and wanted to know if I had ordered a new Samsung or iPhone 10x to which I replied no. He said he was going to send a text message with a code which would verify my account and he would then be able to go ahead and stop this order. The message did arrive, but I did not give him the code as I wasn't convinced he was who he said he was. Normally, a call from O2 comes up with a number and a series of questions are asked to verify who I am. This didn't happen and when I declined to give him the code and told him I was going to call O2 directly to see if this was real, he became a bit defensive and cut the conversation short. I have checked my account online and all appears normal. I also tried to phone O2 but they are incredibly busy and none of the options enabled me to speak to an advisor.

Has anyone else received similar calls?  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Lala8 

Change you O2 password immediately.

The code was probably an upgrade authorisation.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Lala8 It does sound fishy. Sounds like you did the right thing. Take a look at these links, and also keep an eye on your bank account for any charges you don't recognise.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice
https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 7

Lala8
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you and will do
Message 5 of 7