Did you mean: 

Poor data network

Hagz1990
Level 1: Joiner
  • 23 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi all,

I’ve been having major issues with my data recently, say the last 3/4 weeks, I can’t even load webpages if I’m on 4g.

Doing numerous speed tests, my upload is normally always faster than my download speed.

I just don’t know what to do and it’s really frustrating me now?
Message 3 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Hagz1990
  • 23 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you.

Can, if you know, cell operators restrict you from certain cell towers?

It seems as though I’m being restricted in particular 2 locations (work & home) which are no where near each other, so won’t be on the same cell tower.
Message 21 of 39

Hagz1990
  • 23 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Message 22 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

It would be most unusual @Hagz1990 

Is it only 2 cell locations that you are effected by?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 39

Hagz1990
  • 23 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MI5 the 2 main locations are work and home.

I rarely get above 1/2mbps when I do a speed test.

Don’t get me wrong, other areas aren’t great, I’m getting 10/12mbps in a few other areas.
Message 24 of 39

Hagz1990
  • 23 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MI5

If I’m sat right next to a mast and they’ve cut my data, would I still get poor speeds on a test?
Message 25 of 39

Hagz1990
  • 23 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thinking of it, if they had throttled my data, would it reflect in a download speed test?
Message 26 of 39

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Hagz1990 

The only reason they would have for throttling your data would be if you were using excessive amounts.

This would apply to anywhere, not just 1 or 2 locations and only if on an unlimited data tariff.

10/12mbps elsewhere is about a normal average for O2 so it doesn't sound like they are deliberately throttling you.

If you have a 5g phone and you're not in a 5g area, turn off 5g in settings, otherwise, report the areas where your speeds are poor through the My Network app so O2 can look into it.

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 27 of 39

Hagz1990
  • 23 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MI5

If they had restrictions on my account, and I was sat under a tower, would I still get good download speeds.

Does data throttling show in speed tests?

So poor speeds shoe slow data speeds?
Message 28 of 39

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Hagz1990 

There are no specific restrictions on your account.

I've just read back through the entire thread:

I asked you if it was faster at specific times? You later said it was fine before 7.00am.

I also asked you if it was faster on 3g. You later confirmed it was.

This is classic network congestion where the cell towers cannot deliver the demands made of them. 

Too many people are logged on and trying to use data so the network falls over. This happens all over the UK and O2 are in the process of rolling out upgrades. You just need to hope that you are in one of the areas to be upgraded or else move networks when your contract is up.

Currently using:
Message 29 of 39

Hagz1990
  • 23 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MI5

It just doesn’t make sense why it’s 2 areas that are affected the most.

If there was restrictions, would the speed test reflect this? As it’ll be poor all over, not just in specific areas.

If I was under a cell tower and I had restrictions, would I still see a slow speed or excessively high one anyway?
Message 30 of 39