Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone puchase and new contract i did NOT make

Madaboutplants
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Today ihad a phone call from 02. They offered to reduce my monthly charge at NO COST TO ME and for being a LOYAL customer. 

Next thing i know, ihv purchased a £1700 iphone , and acquired a new contract! Absolutely nothing was discussed, let alone agreed. Icalled 02, i was told it was too late to cancel as the phone had bn dispatched. I was advised to cancel my direct debit. I enquired how could this happen,  the advisor said must be a scam!  So why isit in my accou t. She said she doesn't know. 

Since then I've tried many calles with no result. I can definitely confirm that no purchase or discussion took place about replacing my existing phone, or a new contract or a new phone.

Im Absolutely disgusted and distressed.

I'm old but i  hv NOT lost my marbles ! I KNOW what was said and discussed. If phones calls are recoded, i challenge them to do so. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Madaboutplants
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry for spelling mistakes.

I don't know how to put it back on. Can't seem to see this option on myo2 app or website. Can you advise please.  thank you

Message 11 of 17

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10635 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3094 Solutions

@Madaboutplants 

You need to call o2 about the spend cap, and have it reapplied. 

The one thing that I have noted is (among a lot of companies who send OTP), and is how you may be liable if you gave over the OTP that was texted to you? and specifically says " Never share this code, including with o2"  and to report any cold calling and asking for it as they do not work for o2. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 12 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 124247 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@Madaboutplants 

Another thing you can do is this. Go into MyO2  http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

and change your contact preferences. They are usually ticked by default. You need to untick them all.

See here. Under the section MORE  then manage contact preferences. Click on that. You will be told O2 are sending you a warning text then a 2nd text with a security number on. Put the number into the box provided, then you will see people that O2 release your data to. If the boxes are ticked, untick them all and save. This 'should' stop O2 sharing your data with anyone other than O2.

My O2 Contact Pref.JPG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 17

Madaboutplants
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your reply.

I've actually done all this under the guidance of the 02 advisors.  

I've followed all the advise given to me on this by many, for that i thank you all. I was convert that i was scammed but I'm now doubtful.

I'm not sure that I've bn scammed for the following reasons. 

02 have arranged directly with the phone courier, DPD, for the return of the phone to them. 

02 has also set up a new direct debit to TELEFONICA for the  "new"  contract plan !

02 has cancelled monthly payment for the"device"

02 promised to reinstate my original contract plan,  but have failed to do so (New plan is 3 times higher) . 

If I were scammed, wouldn't the money be going to scammers? 

(My previous dd was also to Telefonica. )

Their spam dept today emailed to day"if i believe I'm scammed....." I've sent all the details to them.  

I'm still confused. Who set up the purchase of a new phone and contract? 

02's email of today makes me feel that they think I'm lying! I've given 02 the telephone number of the caller and the time of the call. It said they record all the calls. 

Message 14 of 17

Madaboutplants
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Please read"convince" instead of "convert"

Message 15 of 17

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10635 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3094 Solutions
  1. 02 have arranged directly with the phone courier, DPD, for the return of the phone to them. 
  2. 02 has also set up a new direct debit to TELEFONICA for the  "new"  contract plan !
  3. 02 has cancelled monthly payment for the"device"
  4. 02 promised to reinstate my original contract plan,  but have failed to do so (New plan is 3 times higher) . 
  5. If I were scammed, wouldn't the money be going to scammers? 

YOU gave the scammers access to your account when YOU gave them the OTP that you are told NOT to share with anyone (even o2), and they scammers are only interested in getting the phone, they dont give a hoot about anything else... 
So basically you end up paying o2 for a phone you dont have and a tariff you dont want ... 

And to be fair as I have said o2 can find you liable as you willingly passed over access to your account.. 

Sorry if that sounds harsh but that is the reality of the situation. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 16 of 17

Madaboutplants
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Accept what you said.  So why are they making me pay for a new tariff? Why are they not cancelling it? I've bn told today that new bill generated and payable on 24th Zugust cannot be changed. Really? 

Message 17 of 17