cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Ordered without my consent - Debt Collection Companies

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

I have been an O2 customer for at least 3 or 4 years and must have spent in excess of £2000 for my mobile phone service. 

Then, about a month ago - I started getting phone calls from BCW, a debt collection agency, about a £70 debt with O2 that i knew nothing about. They were threatening me with court action, which - as an existing customer who is spending upwards of £50 a month with O2 anyway I found peculiar. I received around 10 phone calls, all aggressive in tone, from BCW which, despite me telling them i am an existing customer of O2 show no sign of abating.

I was totally baffled - how can O2 be suing an existing customer who has only ever had one phone and pays c£50 a month without fail for the service?

About 20 months ago I discovered that 2 separate payments for handsets had been going out of my bank account. Again - i was perplexed. I rang O2 to get to the bottom of it. It transpired that my ex partner, from whom i had separated a couple of months earlier had used my account to secure a pay as you go handset. The only security on my account was my mothers maiden name - which of course, she knew.

I was not very happy (obviously) and immediately complained to both her and O2 about this. I had signed no paperwork for this contract, a credit check had been done without my knowledge and it had been done without my agreement. This would have been in September 2012.  After my persisted complaints, she transferred the handset monthly payments to her own account through her own bank and agreed to take ownership of the account - (which I never knew existed). That was , I thought, the end of the matter. I have not seen this woman for over 18 months and am not in contact with her.

In July 2013 I moved house and informed O2 of this change.

Imagine my surprise a couple of months ago to have BCW calling me threatening legal action for a £70 debt that i knew absolutely nothing about. They would not give me details but told me to speak to O2. I have now tried speaking to O2 on at least 5 occasions - but no-one will speak about the account in question (assumingly my ex partners) because I dont pass security checks.  Of course I cant pass security checks because I knew nothing about the setting up of this account!! The first i knew about it was when I started receiving 2 bills a month when i have only ever had 1 handset!

I do not speak to the person who owns this handset and has for 18 months been paying for this handset. I do not know where she lives.

This handset, account and £70 debt was ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with me ! And I would appreciate it, as a loyal, paying customer not to have debt collection companies ringing me and insinuating that I am someone who cannot pay my way.

In exasperation, I paid the £70 but it now transpires that - despite me being the "good guy" and joining the dots regarding the handset - a black mark will stay on my credit score for the late payment.

This is outrageous and I will be writing to the Information Commissioner. I had no knowledge of this handset purchase, gave no consent for the credit check to be made against my name for the phone and did not know it existed until the 2 bills were coming out. Then as far as I aware, the situation was resolved. I changed my address and did not receive any bills or demands for payment. I AM AN EXISTING CUSTOMER.

Why should O2 share my details, as someone who has never missed a payment for anything in his life - with a Debt Agency when a) i never gave consent for the handset to be purchased - never signed any credit agreement and b) never received a bill for that handset?

All I ask is that O2 remove the name of an existing customer from the black mark that is against them through NO fault of their own.

Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks BandofBrothers

I only dealt with BCW over the phone. All correspondence from them clearly went to my previous address.

I have kept the correspondence with my Ex, where she admits liability and shared this with O2 - to no avail so far.

Message 11 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok.

As said I truly hope all goes well for you.
Message 12 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just spoken to someone at Complaints. They confirmed, from the notes on the account,  that I had raised this a Fraudulently obtained handset as far back as Sept 2012. They also said that it couldnt be written off as fraud because it was a) delivered to my address and b) details such as mother maiden name and bank details were given when it was taken out. Therefore O2 legally have to keep the black mark on my file.

My points are this -

- Of  course she knew those details - she was living with me at the time. in the months since we separated i had several debt collection agencies writing about things that she owed.

-if i had already said it was not my account - and someone else had taken over the payments - why didnt someone bother to look at the notes on this when payments ceased a year later?

- why didnt someone see that I had said it wasnt my account before just sending out bills to my old address and informing debt collection agencies?

- dont O2 have an obligation to me, as an existing customer, to perform these basic checks before doing something that can ruin a customers credit?

All i have asked is that they remove the black mark from my credit file. They say that, although they believe me,  I need to get the Police to prosecute My Ex before I can. 

This is Unbelievable. I have paid thousands to O2 over the years. This was for £70 - that I have paid even though it is not mine.

Message 13 of 48

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144075 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
This does seem very unfair.... Have you PM'd Toby about it at all ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and thanks for the update.

As fellow customers like you we can but sympathise with your current situation.

What a mess. 😞
Message 15 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

just received this from the Chief Execs Office.

Extremely disappointing is an understatement. I had told O2 this handset was nothing to do with me 18 months ago and have been nothing other than upfront and honest. Totally clueless. Shoddy way to treat long standing customers in my opinion and i am sorry to say I wont be renewing.

Hi Colin

Thanks for your email to Ronan Dunne, I’ve been asked to respond on his behalf.

I’m sorry your credit file has been affected. I can understand the reason for your concern, especially when the account wasn’t taken out by you.

The person who took out this contract must have all the information which we need to process an order. There was no reason for us to identify this account as fraud, which is what you’ve been advised by my colleague, Sharon.

The entry on your credit file would only be removed if there’s clear evidence that O2 are at fault, unfortunately this isn’t the case and therefore it can’t be removed.

We’ve a legal obligation to keep an accurate record of your payment history and as this account is in your name, the entry is correct.

I appreciate this isn’t the response you’re looking for but it is our final position. If you want to take it further, please do so outside of O2. You can contact the Ombudsman for advice on 0330 440 1614.

Kind regards

xxx | O2 UK Limited
Executive Relations

Message 16 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm afraid that's the reply I thought you would receive ref access to your account.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 😞 to change security details for access and perhaps will go to help anyone searching the web for similar situations.

Are you going to take the next step ?
Message 17 of 48

MI5
  • 144075 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Now you have received your deadlock letter you can take it further to the Ombudsman.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 48

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

I can see why O2 have taken this stance. It is now up to you to decide whether to take it further and I wish you well whatever you decide.

Message 19 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry guys but I feel (based on the OP's description of what happened) that this has been a dreadful decision by o2.

Assuming what the OP states is exactly how it happened then this is fraud. The fact that another person was able to bypass the security is irrelevant.

I suspect that the OP may have to report this to the police as it is fraud and then armed with a crime reference number o2 will then be expected to reverse the decision.

The OP would also be advised to consider legal action against o2. Recommend contact CAB
Message 20 of 48