cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Ordered without my consent - Debt Collection Companies

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

I have been an O2 customer for at least 3 or 4 years and must have spent in excess of £2000 for my mobile phone service. 

Then, about a month ago - I started getting phone calls from BCW, a debt collection agency, about a £70 debt with O2 that i knew nothing about. They were threatening me with court action, which - as an existing customer who is spending upwards of £50 a month with O2 anyway I found peculiar. I received around 10 phone calls, all aggressive in tone, from BCW which, despite me telling them i am an existing customer of O2 show no sign of abating.

I was totally baffled - how can O2 be suing an existing customer who has only ever had one phone and pays c£50 a month without fail for the service?

About 20 months ago I discovered that 2 separate payments for handsets had been going out of my bank account. Again - i was perplexed. I rang O2 to get to the bottom of it. It transpired that my ex partner, from whom i had separated a couple of months earlier had used my account to secure a pay as you go handset. The only security on my account was my mothers maiden name - which of course, she knew.

I was not very happy (obviously) and immediately complained to both her and O2 about this. I had signed no paperwork for this contract, a credit check had been done without my knowledge and it had been done without my agreement. This would have been in September 2012.  After my persisted complaints, she transferred the handset monthly payments to her own account through her own bank and agreed to take ownership of the account - (which I never knew existed). That was , I thought, the end of the matter. I have not seen this woman for over 18 months and am not in contact with her.

In July 2013 I moved house and informed O2 of this change.

Imagine my surprise a couple of months ago to have BCW calling me threatening legal action for a £70 debt that i knew absolutely nothing about. They would not give me details but told me to speak to O2. I have now tried speaking to O2 on at least 5 occasions - but no-one will speak about the account in question (assumingly my ex partners) because I dont pass security checks.  Of course I cant pass security checks because I knew nothing about the setting up of this account!! The first i knew about it was when I started receiving 2 bills a month when i have only ever had 1 handset!

I do not speak to the person who owns this handset and has for 18 months been paying for this handset. I do not know where she lives.

This handset, account and £70 debt was ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with me ! And I would appreciate it, as a loyal, paying customer not to have debt collection companies ringing me and insinuating that I am someone who cannot pay my way.

In exasperation, I paid the £70 but it now transpires that - despite me being the "good guy" and joining the dots regarding the handset - a black mark will stay on my credit score for the late payment.

This is outrageous and I will be writing to the Information Commissioner. I had no knowledge of this handset purchase, gave no consent for the credit check to be made against my name for the phone and did not know it existed until the 2 bills were coming out. Then as far as I aware, the situation was resolved. I changed my address and did not receive any bills or demands for payment. I AM AN EXISTING CUSTOMER.

Why should O2 share my details, as someone who has never missed a payment for anything in his life - with a Debt Agency when a) i never gave consent for the handset to be purchased - never signed any credit agreement and b) never received a bill for that handset?

All I ask is that O2 remove the name of an existing customer from the black mark that is against them through NO fault of their own.

Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Toby help !!!!

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 48

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Flagged this to our Community coordinator who is the only here that can assist you as we are all customers like yourself. Good luck with this one....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 48

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

This could take some sorting out. Unfortunately with the original transaction and the account being in your name, O2 wouldn't know that you had no knowledge of the debt, especially if you hadn't been diligently checking your bills.

Hope Toby can steer you in the right direction.

Some info you may need in the future :

CreditFileReferrals@o2.com 

Credit File Referrals Team

Suite P

Arlington Business Centre

Leeds

LS11 0NE

Fax 0113 2025865

How to complain : O2 | Complaint

Message 4 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like a right mess I hope you get sorted out
Message 5 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course if you and your ex had split up then their transaction would be fraudulent and could be a police matter.

O2 may insist on you reporting it given your full detail above.
Message 6 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

Hopefully Toby may be able to steer you in the right direction. I would suggest you PM (private message) him.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/60444

His name has been flagged so he may contact you directly too.

We are all fellow customers here like you so can only make suggestions from experience.

Toby is 02 Staff.

I really hope a reasonable outcome is reached for you and any possible default notice left on your Credit File quashed so any future requests for Credit /finance is not declined. It may well be worth checking your file via a company such as Experian (as one example)
Message 7 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all.

I will hopefully be in touch with Toby.

The reason I had no knowledge at all of the debt was that I assumed that this had all been sorted in October 2012 when I noticed the 2 bills and lodged an immediate complaint as I knew nothing about the other handset.

It was then that I was assured that my Ex had taken responsibility.

What makes it worse is that I rang O2 twice after the debt agency called and they couldnt see anything wrong and told me not to worry. It was me who, when I guessed what it may have been, had to join the dots!

I have even sent O2 the Facebook correspondence where my Ex admits liability for it and says she will pay it.

I really fail to see what else i can do....

Message 8 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you pass this correspondence to the Debt Collection Agency as they should have passed the debt back to O2 if so.

Fingers crossed for you.
Message 9 of 48

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi TheDoog09,

I have answered your PM.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 10 of 48