cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get a brand new number not a recycled number?

bluesunset
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

To cut a very long story short - I joined O2 PAYG a couple of weeks ago with a new number and SIM from O2. As soon as I activated it, within a few hours I was receiving calls from various debt collection companies, all trying to get hold of the same person - presumably someone who had the number before me. I spoke to an agent on live chat, and got an instant number change free of charge - no problem there.

Then, in a second round of unbelievable bad luck, on the replacement number I am getting promotional texts from places like Dominos and Gala Bingo - the text from Gala started with "Lucy!..." so it's clearly targeted at someone who has registered that number with Gala Bingo.

I have spoken with customer services who have offered to change the number for a second time free of charge, but they have told me they cannot guarantee the number will be a new one and they can't select one from a pool of new numbers, just available ones. Now I completely understand that numbers get recycled from time to time but does anyone have any ideas or tips on how I can a genuine brand new never-used number - one that nobody has ever had before me?

I have tried to block some of the texts but as they are sent from "Dominos" for example (text not a number) and not from a specific number I cannot get the block list to accept them.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@bluesunset 

I think you just have to accept O2's offer of another free number. I doubt you will be unlucky enough for it to happen a third time.

OR, If you live near an O2 store, it may be easier to pop instore and explain your situation and they should give you a completely new unopened sim card.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@bluesunset 

I think you just have to accept O2's offer of another free number. I doubt you will be unlucky enough for it to happen a third time.

OR, If you live near an O2 store, it may be easier to pop instore and explain your situation and they should give you a completely new unopened sim card.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Virtually all numbers on all networks are recycled otherwise there wouldn’t be enough to go round. There is no guarantee that a new sim would have a new number on it but you could look into the purchase of a gold number which may give you better odds of it being new.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@bluesunset 

Just register here ::

https://www.o2startrader.co.uk/

They will send you a block of 10 or 20 numbers. Just select the one you want and give the rest away. No comeback, no unwanted spam at all. You have a choice of tariffs you can order. You don't have to be a trader or business, anyone can order the ims.

Message 4 of 5

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Nice info to have jonsie
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 5 of 5