cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for an old phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been paying £18.19 since November 2016 after upgrading, paying the full amount of the old phone off and setting up a new contract. Why wasn't this bill cancelled after the upgrade and how do I get a refund?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Your only chance of a refund is to ask customer services or make a complaint - details of both on link http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
However, it appears you didn't upgrade as you have 2 contracts running, so good luck in getting a refund, although if they can see that the old contract hasn't been used you might have a chance.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Your only chance of a refund is to ask customer services or make a complaint - details of both on link http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
However, it appears you didn't upgrade as you have 2 contracts running, so good luck in getting a refund, although if they can see that the old contract hasn't been used you might have a chance.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous Did you cancel your previous contract? It doesn't happen automatically. It's your responsibility to do it. Did you not look at your bills? Were you not aware that you were paying more than you should be for the last year and a half? You may get a goodwill gesture if you call O2 Customer Service, but I doubt you will get much of a refund.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
This sounds like a paid off refresh device plan here the airtime wasn't cancelled?
We've seen that error a few times unfortunately!

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was for my daughters old phone and I thought that it was her new one that I was paying for. It turns out she has been paying for the new one, whilst I have carried on paying for the old one which hasn't been used since 2016. 

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Was the device plan paid off and did you request cancellation or airtime?
Do you have any proof at all as it will help you claim the money back?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I really don't know as my daughter did it all. Furious with her and myself for not realising until now. It was definitely paid off in full but I guess that even though she did all of this over the phone, it was never made clear that the airtime had to be cancelled separately.
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I assume she took the new contract in her name and the previous one was in yours?
That would explain the new contract and not an upgrade, but yes, the airtime should have been cancelled or else it would continue an a 30 day rolling basis.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8