Did you mean: 

PAYG SIM - Not working abroad

Hannah4
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Hello,

I have a Pay As You Go SIM from O2 which was activated and used in the UK before travelling to New Zealand. I have just tried to send a text for the first time from NZ but am unable to do so, and have a notification saying "SIM is not provisioned for voice". I looked at the SIM status which states "not roaming", and have tried restarting my phone (Samsung A6), manually connecting to a network etc but am having no luck.

How can I fix this issue??

Before leaving the UK, I changed from pay monthly to PAYG to allow me to keep my number. I understand I need to use my SIM every 6 months to do this but that won't be possible if I can't send or receive any texts or calls.

Help please!
Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hannah4
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5 @jonsie 

I finally got through to O2 customer services - turns out you should phone at exactly 8am when they open the lines, and not a minute later. 

Looks like my SIM card is damaged after all, as made clear when inserting into a different phone and so I'll get a new one sent to my folks in the UK to activate and forwarded on to me in NZ.

To clarify, I understand that the £10 Big Bundle SIM card will roll credit and data over to the following month, and the card must only be used once every 6 months for it to remain active.  Which is great as it is in line with the what the guy who sold me it in the O2 shop said. My £20 top up following your suggestion MI5 is banked, so I can still use that once the SIM arrives with me. 

Thanks very much for your help both, it's much appreciated.  

Hannah

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@Hannah4 

Sounds like SIM is not activated.

Have you topped up at all?

Guide How to Top Up (PAYG) 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 19

Hannah4
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Hi MI5,

I used the SIM in the UK so it was definitely activated, and should also have enough credit.

I have also checked and the card doesn't appear damaged at all.

Hannah
Message 3 of 19

jonsie
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

There may be an nternational bar on the phone which needs to be removed by customer service. Have you tried manually selecting another network @Hannah4 

Message 4 of 19

MI5
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@Hannah4 

What tariff are you on and when was the last top up?

If it's a big bundle, it would expire after 30 days and you would not have any credit for international texts or calls.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 19

Hannah4
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
@jonsie

I think this is indeed the issue. However I have now tried the customer service line a few times (within opening hours) but they state that they cannot take calls right now. This is quite urgent for me - does anyone know how else I can contact them to lift the bar? I can't see an online chat or email address.
Message 6 of 19

MI5
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@Hannah4 

PAYG sims are not usually internationally barred by default.

If you have Skype you can try them on this https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-Topic/A-Guide-To-Skype/m-p/1305104/highlight/true#M181823

Message 7 of 19

Hannah4
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
@MI5

I have the £10 data big bundle sim and last topped up in mid Feb. I was sold this in snow shop in the understanding that the credit lasts 6 months. From what you are saying, this isn't the case?
Message 8 of 19

MI5
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@Hannah4 

Big bundle allowances last for 30 days.

As I said, this does not allow international calls either, so your 2 problems are no allowances and no credit.

You need to top up at least £20 now to get credit to allow you to call or text from abroad.

Message 9 of 19

MI5
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

You can check your credit / allowances in your MyO2 

http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

Message 10 of 19