Did you mean: 

PAYG SIM - Not working abroad

Hannah4
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Hello,

I have a Pay As You Go SIM from O2 which was activated and used in the UK before travelling to New Zealand. I have just tried to send a text for the first time from NZ but am unable to do so, and have a notification saying "SIM is not provisioned for voice". I looked at the SIM status which states "not roaming", and have tried restarting my phone (Samsung A6), manually connecting to a network etc but am having no luck.

How can I fix this issue??

Before leaving the UK, I changed from pay monthly to PAYG to allow me to keep my number. I understand I need to use my SIM every 6 months to do this but that won't be possible if I can't send or receive any texts or calls.

Help please!
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Hannah4
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5 

Thanks for your help with this. 

I have apparently successfully topped up £20 but see no difference at all - any thoughts?

My MyO2 requires a confirmation code sent via text so I cannot access that either.

It looks like my only way to talk to an O2 rep is to use their complaints email - complaintreviewservice@o2.com

Message 11 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@Hannah4 

Assuming you are correct in that you are on a £10 big bundle, you will now have your bundle allowances plus £10 credit to allow international use of your phone.

It may take a while to update and restarting your phone may help.

You should also still be able to receive your text message anywhere in the world.

Give it time to catch up and try again.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 19

Hannah4
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5 

OK, I'll give it a few hours and see how we go.

Thanks again for your help - will let you know if it's solved!

Hannah

Message 13 of 19

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Hannah4
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5 

Hey MI5! Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have made any difference, have you any further ideas at all?

Hannah

Message 15 of 19

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@Hannah4 

Any chance you can try the SIM in another phone?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 19

Hannah4
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5 @jonsie 

I finally got through to O2 customer services - turns out you should phone at exactly 8am when they open the lines, and not a minute later. 

Looks like my SIM card is damaged after all, as made clear when inserting into a different phone and so I'll get a new one sent to my folks in the UK to activate and forwarded on to me in NZ.

To clarify, I understand that the £10 Big Bundle SIM card will roll credit and data over to the following month, and the card must only be used once every 6 months for it to remain active.  Which is great as it is in line with the what the guy who sold me it in the O2 shop said. My £20 top up following your suggestion MI5 is banked, so I can still use that once the SIM arrives with me. 

Thanks very much for your help both, it's much appreciated.  

Hannah

Message 17 of 19

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
I thought that might be the problem hence asking you to try in another phone.
Glad you're sorted.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 19

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions