Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Sim Swap

Onlinesimswap
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Back in December my phone was hacked by fraudsters. They somehow managed to get a new sim and got it activated.

At the time I recieved some strange calls. I gave no personal information and called 02. They advised me it was probably fraudulent activity.

A few days later I got a text from 02 asking me about the quality of service I recieved from thier help centre. I said it was ok but nothing more.

A day later I recieved texts asking me to enter the code that had been sent to me in order to activate my sim card!......I hadn't asked for one.

I did nothing. But, within mins my account had been taken over by fraudsters. They used my phone as a verification tool to change me email account and online banking. Within 2 hours over £11000 had been removed.

The point of this post is.....who is at fault? Me or 02.

02 provide the security, or should do? But when I complained they have remained consistent that I activated the authorisation code.....which I did not. Are 02 at fault?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Quite possibly O2 but they should have told you to change password and monitor any change of details. You perhaps should have insisted you speak to the fraud department,

Hopefully you have got your money back from your bank or credit card company.

You might want to place a formal complaint and then decide on any legal action you feel necessary.

The CAB are a good source of information.

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Message 2 of 2