cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 won't unlock my old contract phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Topic.

Been on with O2 on 202 and the live chat since the 19th of May about unlocking my old Samsung Galaxy S2 which is just out of contract with O2.

I rang 202 on Tuesday, as they said last week that it would be unlocked within 7 days of last Tuesday, no unlock, they sad it would be done by close of play the next day, so I rang up again on Wednesday, no joy and was told to contact Samsung, which I did, they told me they do not give out unlock codes and told me to ring O2 back! I did, and O2 told me that because the phone was not bought direct from O2, they couldn't unlock it! So yesterday I went to Phones 4 U in the Meadowhall Centre to enquire if they could unlock it, the do not unlock phones and told me to go to O2, which I did, went in the shop, they told me to contact customer services on 202, I explained that I already have and they won't play ball!

All I want to do is unlock a flippin' phone that is out of contract so I can either sell it on eBay or keep it as a spare! Why is that so flippin' hard?!

I'm sorry but I have just about had it with O2 customer services, the live chat "Gurus" are about as much use as a chocolate teapot, and the 202 service is also useless IMO.

* Edited for spelling,grammar and spacing typos*

Message 1 of 61
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
60 REPLIES 60

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144322 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
We've been over this before and you were advised to fill in the form and NOT to call or use live chat. What is so difficult with following that bit of advice? It makes no difference where the phone came from. I've had phones from many different sources unlocked by O2 in the past. Just follow the recognised best process and it will be unlocked.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
You have just reposted an old topic which you have already been advised on, just need to listen to that previous advice & you be sorted
Message 4 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

Take the advice given thats what we are here for

Message 5 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Take the advice given thats what we are here for

Well said Damien.

wink

Message 6 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was this ever resolved? I'm having the same problem with an iPhone 4. I want to keep using the phone and just put a sim from another company in it. I've filled in the form a few times, phoned, been on live chat.

They all tell me it will be unlocked, then I get an email or text saying it wasn't. Latest excuse is 'the phone wasn't activated by an O2 sim'. The phone I got from O2. With an O2 sim.

Is this a common practice? To trap people who are out of contract so they can't leave? Is that legal?

Message 7 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Was this ever resolved? I'm having the same problem with an iPhone 4. I want to keep using the phone and just put a sim from another company in it. I've filled in the form a few times, phoned, been on live chat.

They all tell me it will be unlocked, then I get an email or text saying it wasn't. Latest excuse is 'the phone wasn't activated by an O2 sim'. The phone I got from O2. With an O2 sim.

Is this a common practice? To trap people who are out of contract so they can't leave? Is that legal?

As long as the phone has been latched to an 02 Account by making a call on it you should be good to go to unlock it to all networks.

While the iPhone is hooked up to iTunes with an alternative sim placed in it the unlock will occur.

They are not trapping you and appreciate the frustration connected to this.

I would suggest you try again using the unlock form and or contact Customer Services.

Perhaps the Site Admin Team on this forum may be able to help if you PM them.

@Anonymous

@Toby

* Edited to correct wrong information.

Message 8 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been told 'don't woryy, it'll work this time' about 7 times now, so don't think wasting my time going through the process again will have any different results.

What other options do I have?

Message 9 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been told 'don't woryy, it'll work this time' about 7 times now, so don't think wasting my time going through the process again will have any different results.

What other options do I have?

None.

Because the iPhone was not purchased through Apple Directly, Apple won't entertain any direct requests to them.

Only 02 can officially unlock.

I wouldn't trust any 3rd party sources either.

Message 10 of 61