cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 system thinks I owe them money and continues to bar and place restrictions on my phone

Brian_Pixel
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Long story but getting nowhere fast so I'm hoping someone here can help.

In January I thought it would be nice to upgrade my phone so used the O2 app to do this and pay the early upgrade fee (224.99).  Unfortunately this didn't work.  I opted for PayPal then it went to the last confirmation screen and went blank so this was cancelled.  I decided to go in person to the O2 shop the same day and pay the early upgrade fee there and collect the phone there.  Everythinig was fine.  I had a new phone and the money was paid via my bank card (chip and pin).

A few weeks after that I get an email saying that I still owe them the two hundred odd quid!  

Its now June.  Since then I've called O2 numerous times (30-ish?), been on hold, spent hours waiting to speak to someone, getting transferred to different teams etc. but the issue has still not been resolved.  Every few weeks they restrict my services for "non-payment" then I have to go through the whole wtory again - customer services transfers me to Payment Management Team and I explain to them - they lift the restrictions for a few weeks whilst another team investigates but nothing ever gets done so I have to call back again.

I asked for a manager call back several times.  They only attempted once and left a garbbled message.  The only time I feel like I'm not just being ignored / not understood is when I get through to a UK call centre (only twice this has happened).  I've contacted my bank for the transaction details as proof and I've been to the store where I bought it (they were no use - just gave me the complaints email address which I used but only ever got automated responses).  O2 people said they logged complaints for me but again nothing gets done.

The last bit of the story was I went on holiday to Italy.  Before I went I was assuerd by two different people that they would not place restrictions on my phone while I was away.  Guess what.   It happened on the second day and I was left withouth comms the whole trip.  

When I returned I explained everything AGAIN and they are lifting the bar for theh max (one month).  Apparently the Cash Management Team will get in touch with me about this but I'm not holding my breath as every time I have had to contact O2.  

How can I escalate this?  Its ridiculous!   

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148695 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@Brian_Pixel 

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 10

Brian_Pixel
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks but I've already sent several complaints to complaintreviewservice@o2.com with no response except the automated one (after several months).  I am going to log a complaint via resolver now.

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 148695 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@Brian_Pixel 

It's not unusual to see responses in excess of 8 weeks.

If it goes beyond that, you can escalate to the Ombudsman.

https://www.o2.co.uk/documents/456036/4246828/Customer+Complaints+code+250523.pdf

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 10

Brian_Pixel
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The first complaint I raised was 27/02/24!  I've now logged a complaint with Resolver UK although that looks like its just a front end that sends my complaint to the O2 email address.  It says "In about 2 months you will be able to escalate your case to Ombudsman Services.".

Ideally I would just like this resolved by O2 rather than letting this drag on for longer via a complaints system.  I don't understand why someone in O2 can't just get a grip of the probem and deal with it.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 148695 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

Something we'd all agree with, but alas, not something that happens these days unfortunately.

Message 6 of 10

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 8900 Posts
  • 200 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@Brian_Pixel 

I am not sure that it is helpful to raise multiple complaints about the same issue. There was a post on here some time ago that suggested that, in such circumstances, O2 will consider that the original complaint has been superseded and that the eight week clock will start again when the later complaint has been received.

This is different than reminding O2 that you await a response to your complaint. 

In addition, you will find it difficult to get any other O2 team to engage with you when an open complaint is showing on your record. 

You have been supplied with a link to the Customer Complaints code and I would highlight :-

What happens next?
If you’re not happy after we’ve responded to your complaint, or if your complaint isn’t resolved after eight weeks, you may wish to refer your complaint to an Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is a free service, which will independently review your complaint. They investigate complaints fairly by listening to both sides of the story and looking at the facts. Their decision is binding on O2, but not on you as a customer.

I suggest that you await the outcome of your Resolver complaint and, when eight weeks have passed since its submission, prepare your escalation to the Ombudsman. You can ask for further help if you want us to assist you in articulating your problem. 👍   

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 148695 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

As your first complaint was over 8 weeks ago with no response, you can escalate to the Ombudsman now @Brian_Pixel 

No need to wait anymore.

Message 8 of 10

KRB78
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 37 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’m just days away from referring a complaint to ombudsman, I may also ask the "Daily Mail" to review & assist....I read their consumer problem page every Wednesday & they do seem to acheive a high level of success when following up on reader issues. Seems like o2 may be dealing with a lot of insurance claim backlash due to their usage reports being erroneous

Message 9 of 10

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 8900 Posts
  • 200 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

I personally would not "muddy the waters" by getting the Daily Mail involved @KRB78 ; refer it to the Ombudsman and let him conduct his review without outside pressures. 👍 

Message 10 of 10