cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 stealing from me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am on Pay as you go.

Yesterday and today I get a message reading 'you can now use data on your phone until midnight tonight. we've given you 50mb to use, and taken £1 from your balance'. ????

WTF, I don't want data and did not ask for it.

O2 is stealing my money. I want it back you bunch of theives.

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

This thread has no bearing on customer service. It's user error not system or adviser error.

Message 11 of 35

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Don't feed wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it is stealing

And it is sly

When I got my pay as you go card it was not made clear they would be taking £1.00 per day for this service .I don’t use and don’t want.

And they didn’t inform me by text and give me an option to decline.

But like the cheats 02 are, they used a message within my apple phones “dismiss” settings

Not giving me an option to decline ….but leading me to believe if I press dismiss I won’t be charged.

I want my money back……don’t treat people like idiots ……And if you think you can use your own staff on here to put pressure on customers that complain, you may find this complaint and this argument spreading very fast on all media

Message 13 of 35

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Go for it - Make yourself look even more silly wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 35

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Wow big assumption not one member of staff has posted in this thread if a staff member posts in this community they have to have a disclsimer in the signature section.

The sms is sent once data is used the only way to stop it is to disable all mibile data in settings restricting the phone to wifi only.

If you are unhappy with this then go to the o2 home page and at the bottom is how to complain and follow the full complaints process.

This is a customer to customer forum.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 15 of 35

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
And if you think you can use your own staff on here to put pressure on customers that complain, you may find this complaint and this argument spreading very fast on all media

No O2 staff here, only you not doing a very good job of defending the indefensible.

We've seen threats like yours in the past and nobody will remember a word of it.

Any problems you have with data charges are down to your lack of understanding of how a modern phone works, so do some research and you'll learn how to control what it costs you.

When you have decided to do that come back and ask here and we'll explain it to you.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 16 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
michaelmichael

This forum is customer to customer. We volunteer our time free to assist other customers who may be needing advice and guidance.

Firstly I would politely request you respect this and refrain from inappropriate comments.

Secondly, almost all phones are now smart to some degree and require a data connection to perform many of their functions. When a customer buys a phone it is impossible for the sales person to know every little requirement that each individual customer may require. Every customer wants something different.

I myself have a Samsung Galaxy S4. I love it but there are things I would change with it. Everyone had their own thoughts on what they want.

In relation to your query, o2 have done nothing wrong. If you use data (either intentionally directly or if your phone does things automatically) then you will be charged as per your tariff. You have choices:

1. Add a data bolt on to your tariff. See www.o2.co.uk for details.
2. Pay the £1 per day for each day your phone uses data.
3. Turn mobile data off on the phone. Please note if you turn your phone off or if it runs out of battery then when you turn it back on it may turn data back on and is likely to use some data before you get to turn it off.

Modern day smartphones are made to use data services. I am afraid you need to accept that. I can't think of any mobile currently for sale now from the operators that don't need data.

Make your choice from the above and the move on. Be happy. And enjoy your phone.

But please refrain from aggression on here. Whatever you may think we are customers here. Not staff.
Message 17 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks now I know too!

Bought phone for my daughter for Christmas and it kept getting these messages saying it was taking a £1 off.  Don't have this problem with my very similar phone for which I use a different provider, so thought it must be the type of o2 tariff.  Was all set to change provider.  Probably seems like I'm thick to the experts on here but I'm not very techy and thought that as roaming was switched off we wouldn't be charged for data use.  Having made only 4 very short phone calls and 1 text since getting the phone, my daughter only has £3 left out of £10 credit paid for. 

Anyway lesson learnt the hard way I guess, however it might be helpful if o2 added a little note to the texts informing us less techy types that if they don't want to be charged a  £1 a day they should switch data.

Thanks again.  At least the £3 left can be used for services that we will actually use.

Message 18 of 35

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

cmccl wrote:. 

Anyway lesson learnt the hard way I guess, however it might be helpful if o2 added a little note to the texts informing us less techy types that if they don't want to be charged a  £1 a day they should switch data.

Nobody expects anyone to be techy!

But if you're buying a device that does what the modern phones can, you really need to find out a little about how it works and what it might cost before going ahead.

The forum here exists just to do that and advise on how to use it and control the costs.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 19 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the tip Perksie,

I'll consider my fingers well and truly rapped.

Problem was I did know a 'little' about how it worked ( having a similar phone myself), alas a little was not enough 😕

Learning all the time though.  Maybe one day I'll be the one giving tips and advice - don't hold your breath though slight_smile

Message 20 of 35