cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Scam Call running a 40% tariff discount?

piccolo135
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Received a call this morning claiming to be from O2, and it was very difficult to determine whether it was a scam or not.

The number was 0161 394 0219, advising that O2 were giving me a 40% discount on my tariff due to COVID-19.

They just needed some security details....

Whilst on the call I googled the number which indicated it was a scam, however they sent a security code which did come up on my phone along with other O2 Priority messages received historically.

Surely you ask for tariff reductions due to COVID, rather than being giving them randomly??

Anyone else received these calls?

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@piccolo135 

Most likely one of O2's so called "trusted partners"

From the experience of others, you'd be advised to stay well clear and never accept anything from a cold call.

They would most likely take over your contract and put you on something unsuitable and unwanted.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 39

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Clearly dodgy for the benefit of anyone else checking this number https://who-called.co.uk/Number/01613940219
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 39

piccolo135
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I checked the same whilst on the call and came to the same conclusion. The problem with the call is that the message received for a security code did appear to come from O2 (it had previous o2 Priority messages in the message thread), which if indeed a scam, then its going to fool a good majority of people
Message 4 of 39

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@piccolo135 

It would for sure fool many and good that you are "on your toes"

I'll flag it to admin for investigation too, thanks for reporting.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 39

piccolo135
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Or just that I'm a suspicious pedant...but I'll take the compliment! : ) Thanks
Message 6 of 39

Eli-phant
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Piccolo

I too am receiving this call frequently and have received the code on the O2 thread. I'm very suspicious and told him to call back whilst I investigate. The call has come from 020 32128 7653.

Have you managed to find anymore out? He is going to call me back!

THANKS

Message 7 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Eli-phant 

A scam if you look up the number https://who-called.co.uk/Number/02031287653 (Slightly different number so obviously auto dialler which changes number constantly)

Never ever take up a contract from a cold caller.

Edited to add...you should just block the number.

Guide: A Guide to Deal with Spam/Scam Calls and Text 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 39

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Same comments as for the first number on the thread so obviously another scammer changing their number to avoid detection.
Ways to report here including Action Fraud website
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice

Currently using:
Message 9 of 39

Loula
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have just had a call "telling me" that I have been awarded a "Christmas" bonus offer of a 40% discount and that they would sending me 2 text messages.  He new I was on a sim only contract but couldn't tell me any other details.  0330 220 4413 when i queried, was straight away put through to a supervisor who kept saying this is not a scam... I disconnected the call as did not like how pushy he was....

Thank you Louise

Message 10 of 39