cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Scam Call running a 40% tariff discount?

piccolo135
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Received a call this morning claiming to be from O2, and it was very difficult to determine whether it was a scam or not.

The number was 0161 394 0219, advising that O2 were giving me a 40% discount on my tariff due to COVID-19.

They just needed some security details....

Whilst on the call I googled the number which indicated it was a scam, however they sent a security code which did come up on my phone along with other O2 Priority messages received historically.

Surely you ask for tariff reductions due to COVID, rather than being giving them randomly??

Anyone else received these calls?

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

kp101010
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Fortunately I didn't give them the code from the text message as I realised they were dirty scammers.

Message 21 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@kp101010 

The only way they could have instigated to code being sent to you was from within your account.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 39

kp101010
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My assumption (and let me know if you think i am incorrect) is that they use the Reset Password option on the O2 website that asks for the number to send a text message for security purposes.  Once you then give them that code they are able to reset the password and login to your account. 

They seem pretty desperate for you to give them that code so i think they need it to continue with the scam.

Message 23 of 39

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10160 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3009 Solutions

@kp101010 

I would still reset your own password on myo2 as its better to be safe then sorry

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 24 of 39

kp101010
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I see your point... might be worth doing as a precaution as you say.

What concerns me is looking at these forums this seems to be happening quite frequently and that makes me wonder how the scammers are getting lists of O2 customer phone numbers? 

Message 25 of 39

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10160 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3009 Solutions

@kp101010 

Its actually quite easy to call people from a list of say a 1000, your hit rate might be 1% and from the time and effort its a good return. 

It is quite an easy scam to setup, i'm going to go into details here but a lot of the information required is in the public domain.. 

And people do post all sorts of PII data on these and other forums which make it 100% easier.

And this affects EE, 3 and Voda 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 26 of 39

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@kp101010 

Reset password sends a link to the registered email address.

It doesn't involve a text.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 27 of 39

kp101010
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Whilst you are correct that you can reset your password using a link sent to your registered email address. It is also possible to do it using a text to your mobile number. I ran through the same steps myself as I was curious how they would be able to access my account. Try it yourself - you'll be surprised.

Perhaps this is a new form of password reset they've introduced lately? 

Message 28 of 39

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Must be new then and something that needs revoking immediately.

Currently using:
Message 29 of 39

GilltT
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’ve had one of these calls every day for the last 2 weeks. Told them I was not  interested , Guy most insistent. Finished the call and blocked the number bit they’ll probably call from another one. These people ought to be prosecuted 

Message 30 of 39