cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Scam Call running a 40% tariff discount?

piccolo135
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Received a call this morning claiming to be from O2, and it was very difficult to determine whether it was a scam or not.

The number was 0161 394 0219, advising that O2 were giving me a 40% discount on my tariff due to COVID-19.

They just needed some security details....

Whilst on the call I googled the number which indicated it was a scam, however they sent a security code which did come up on my phone along with other O2 Priority messages received historically.

Surely you ask for tariff reductions due to COVID, rather than being giving them randomly??

Anyone else received these calls?

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122890 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Loula 

According to this it IS a scam. https://who-called.co.uk/Number/03302204413 

Just block the number so they can't call you again.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 39

Jord1
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’ve just had exactly the same speech from the same number (0330 220 4413). I had a call a couple of weeks ago that seemed the same but didn’t let them get past saying they were calling from O2 (oooo doo) didn’t actually click to what they were saying to start with. Why would O2 give out our details?
Message 12 of 39

meshall
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had the same call this morning from the number 0203 745 0982 re 40% discount on my airtime bill. I thought this was a legit call as I had received a text message the day before from O2UK advising "we're getting in touch to let you know your monthly rolling airtime plan is now $xx" so I assumed this was a follow-up. The advisor told me I would receive two messages one for a fraud alert and another for a code. Both did come through from O2UK number where I received genuine O2 messages in the past.

The fraud alert message clearly says 'if someone has called you and asked for a code, Hang up. They are not working for O2' so it's odd the advisor is claiming they sent this message for fraudsters who might call for a code in the future? The second message had the code, once provided I was transferred over to a "supervisor" who said she needed some security details and asked for my mother's maiden name at which point I hung up.

Message 13 of 39

MI5
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@meshall 

Change your O2 password immediately.

Your account is compromised.

Notify O2 on 202 and also your bank to block any new direct debits or withdrawals.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 39

Reman
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So, O2 run a telecoms system that's allowing O2 customers to be scammed from a faked O2 customer support number. This would be on par with the local gas supplier allowing scammers to rent their liveried vans and ID's to get into peoples houses to burgle them. If that happened, I think we'd all agree that the gas supplier would have some pretty pointed questions to answer in court.

So why does O2 think being retroactive is enough? If you get scammed and you end up with bank charges, damage to your credit rating, and all the stress of trying to fix the mess, just having the amount you were scammed out of refunded to your account really doesn't feel adequate to me. This shouldn't be allowed to happen in the first place, and I find it morally offensive that a company's continued inaction to fix a security hole in their own system is aiding and abetting criminal activity.

Today I got the scam call from O2's own 0344 809 0202 number, luckily I didn't recognise the number as being O2 support, so I was sceptical. After less than a minute they got my usual impolite requested to go find a moving lorry to dive under, but if I'd had the number saved in my contact list, and it flashed up that it was O2 support at the start, I don't know if I would have been so quick to disbelieve their words.

O2 have had YEARS to sort this problem out, So why hasn't it been fixed? This isn't a rhetorical question, I really do want someone to tell us publicly what O2 are doing to fix this issue.

Message 15 of 39

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Reman The problem isn't the sole province of O2. All the networks experience it, and there's no solution found as yet. If you're as sceptical and savvy as you say you are you should be aware of that.

Number spoofing scams - Ofcom

O2 and most likely the other networks are doing as much as they can.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/unwanted-calls-and-messages

There's also this: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 16 of 39

kp101010
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Had two calls yesterday and one today with the correct caller number. They even said to prove it was O2 calling i could check the number with the O2 website. I know however caller IDs are quite easy to fake. I said i'd call O2 back on the main number and they said that i'd need to call a special number they supplied me. At this point i was 100% sure it was a scam. They said that i'd need to verify that I was the account holder and that i would get a text... I sure did get a text that was from O2 ... it was a text with my one time passcode and IF i had given it to them they would have been able to login to my account and do what they liked... I can see others falling for this scam.. wish there was a good way to alert people to it!

Message 17 of 39

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122890 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I see these are starting up again. Very handy just leading up to the xmas period!

Real scum. Good job you had your wits about you @kp101010 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 39

MI5
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@kp101010 

Change your O2 password immediately as they have access to your account.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 39