cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New O2 contract and credit check

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been with O2 for about 7 years, never missed a payment with them and this is recorded on my credit files. 

My contract came up in December, but they wanted to charge me £130 to get a new iPhone, when through a third party and remaining on O2 it could be £10.  When the request went through to O2 they failed me.  I'm perplexed since I have online access to Experian and Equifax, no blemishes on my credit record and according to their scores it is excellent. 

Is this just a way to maximise profits by making existing customers pay extortionate prices while new customets get good deals? Trying to speak to someone on O2 customer services was an absolute waste of time as they didn't understand the issue. 

I didn't particularly want to move suppliers but this has really put me off O2.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

It seems strange then that they would turn your application down. Only o2 can give you the reason I'm afraid. 

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's just the thing, they say they can't give me a reason.

They don't seem to want to help, just try and sell me an expensive upgrade. If I'm good enough for an upgrade why not a new phone? All seems very odd. 

Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that a credit reference agency reports back on your file and then it's o2 that have the final say.

If this was me I'd perhaps try again.

It's up to you if you want to.

Message 4 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Many things can have a negative effect in O2's eyes that may not be apparent elsewhere.
Some things like length of time in employment, at current address, number of credit checks in quick succession, etc, but as you have discovered, they won't tell you why.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been with O2 for about 7 years, never missed a payment with them and this is recorded on my credit files. 

Then I would call them, and politely explain that you intend to leave because you feel insulted as a customer.  Say that you are happy with the service from a tecnical point of view, but feel that they are unable to look after you as a customer.  Say that you need a better deal directly from O2, otherwise you'll terminate the service, (which you should be prepared to do if they don't offer you a good deal).

Know what you want before you call, and see if they will sort it out.

Don't worry about your credit record - in the UK there is no official central registry of these things, it's up to each organisation to interpret the information they have.  What some see as a good thing, others see as negative.

Message 6 of 14

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

My mum had a similar problem when she applied for a loan at a bank a few years ago - it was declined even though she has a good credit score.  She went to the bank and showed them her print outs of her Experian files and they gave her the loan in the end.  Sometimes there must be a mis-communication between the credit files and the company. 

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1 wrote:

My mum had a similar problem when she applied for a loan at a bank a few years ago - it was declined even though she has a good credit score.  She went to the bank and showed them her print outs of her Experian files and they gave her the loan in the end.  Sometimes there must be a mis-communication between the credit files and the company. 

It may be that a different bank wouldn't have even raised an objection at all.

If you take out a credit card with one bank, then ask for a loan a few months later, they might see it as managing your finances responsibly by not using the credit card for a large purchase, but getting a structured loan.

A different bank might see it as just an attempt for yet met credit, and deny it.

I raised my card limit on two consecutive months with my bank.  After that the automated system rejected a third increase.  I requested one in writing, and they agreed it.

So I'm mega rich now Evil

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies... yes I spoke to O2 again yesterday and after speaking to FOUR different people and being passed around I was told that I could leave if I wanted to as they could not match the deal I wanted as an upgrade.

Which is fine with me, as EE has given me an equivalent one.

Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good luck with EE. If you've never been with them before you're in for the worst experience of your life. I just left after many years with EE, orange and t-mobile, right back to the mercury days.
Message 10 of 14