cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I purchased my phone on a 24 month contract in April this year, when i spoke to agent at Carphone warehouse I explained I would be moving to fort william at some point during the year and that I would require a good internet coverage, How wrong was he...almost no phone coverage no 2g or 3g or 4g...what do i need to do to come out of this contract so i can purchase a system that will work? can i free my iphone 5s to work with all providers? or does O2 have plans to improve signal in Fort William Highlands?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It would appear that CPW told you what you wanted to hear rather than the truth.
O2's service status page is here and you can check if it is an issue or just the way it is http://status.o2.co.uk/
Even if you unlock your phone you will still have to pay your O2 contract, so just bear that in mind.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You can unlock it free on contract here

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

You are however still responsible for the payment of the O2 contract.

A person either pays the handset plan off on refresh and give notice or if it's a normal tariff then you'll have to pay off the remainder of the tariff = amount x months left minus any insurance or bolt one

Edit ref link was broken.
Message 2 of 6

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It would appear that CPW told you what you wanted to hear rather than the truth.
O2's service status page is here and you can check if it is an issue or just the way it is http://status.o2.co.uk/
Even if you unlock your phone you will still have to pay your O2 contract, so just bear that in mind.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi

I purchased my phone on a 24 month contract in April this year, when i spoke to agent at Carphone warehouse I explained I would be moving to fort william at some point during the year and that I would require a good internet coverage, How wrong was he...almost no phone coverage no 2g or 3g or 4g...what do i need to do to come out of this contract so i can purchase a system that will work? can i free my iphone 5s to work with all providers? or does O2 have plans to improve signal in Fort William Highlands?

If you took the contract out with CPW you will not be able to get out of your contract, other than by paying off the remaining months left on it. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

It does say you should get good 3G though so maybe you need to check if everything else is in order.

Live results for Fort William, Highlands, Scotland

• Our network is currently working fine
    We'll be carrying out some maintenance on our phone masts in this area on the 15 November
    Updated 19:00 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet.

• Normal coverage for Voice, text and email (2G)
      Making calls, sending texts, using email on your phone.
      Good indoors and outdoors.

• Normal coverage for Mobile internet and voice (3G)
      Fast networking. For smartphones, dongles and tablets.
      Good indoors and outdoors. Good for mobile broadband.

• Normal coverage for Mobile Internet (4G)
      Seamless connectivity and mobile internet.
      Sorry, we do not have coverage here.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
On unlocking its advised then to try out alternative Network Payg SIM cards to ensure they give good signal where you live, work and commute.

Don't rely on Coverage Checkers as they are for indication only.

Also if you can try your sim in another phone as a process of elimination.
Message 6 of 6