Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost phone apparently found

Danze
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I lost my phone(iphone 7) abroad, called O2 and got the sim and handset blocked. The day I got back I went and got a new contract on refresh. Now, 3 days later, and a week after getting the phone blocked, O2 have rang saying someone has it and wants to return it. The number I received the call from was 0800 840 0202, so when they asked for my name and address at the start of the call I gave it them. They have told me someone found my phone, put their sim in it and it has come up on their EE account that the IMEI matches an O2 phone. They have rang O2 with the IMEI who have then contacted me. I've been left with a name and mobile number of someone who apparently wants to return my phone. This doesn't seem like the way a big company would go about things to me. If it's legit, then great, but how have they got the IMEI when it was barred?  If not though, how has somebody got my phone number using only a barred iphone 7 handset and my blocked sim card?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
As far as the IMEI is concerned, you can still read that off the phone even if it is barred.
The bar only blocks network access, it doesn't wipe the IMEI number from the phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
That is a genuine O2 number so although it seems strange it sounds legit.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 12

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Once it's blacklisted that's that. However if you still access tothe contents through an authorised SIM. Then maybe account details be transferred. Ask o2 what they can do
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
As far as the IMEI is concerned, you can still read that off the phone even if it is barred.
The bar only blocks network access, it doesn't wipe the IMEI number from the phone.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 12

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
He also said the iPhone was blocked.
Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Blocked or barred is the same thing.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Ok boss. I understand. 😁
Message 7 of 12

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

This is the normal way of returning a lost phone to it's owner. O2 will not give your details to a third party but will pass on that third party's details to you. How else would they do it? Get the caller to return the phone to O2 who then return it to you? In an ideal world but every chance of it getting lost again as whoever is in the mailroom would have to take responsibility of getting the owner's name and address off customer service and then arranging delivery again for a phone which has had the IMEI blocked and the customer waits at least a couple of weeks for the phone to be delivered and then go about getting it unblocked. All time consuming and lengthy. Much better to get the customer to call the third party and arrange postage. It's the way it's been done since the Cellnet days

Message 8 of 12

Danze
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Turns out it was legit. Rang the guy and he lived 10 minutes away from me! Not bad when he found my phone in Morocco. Once I've got home, i've put my password in and it's working on wifi. Not bothered putting my new sim in as it sounds like I'll still need to take it into an O2 shop to get the bar removed for sim access.

Thanks all.

Message 9 of 12

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Good to hear.
Message 10 of 12