Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Long time between sending a text message and it being received O2 network

Seraphina
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My partner and I both have phones that are on the O2 pay monthly scheme. When out and about we like to use text messages to keep in touch and relay information e.g. where car is parked, change time / place to meet up etc. Recently we've had problems as messages are taking a couple of hours to travel. Yesterday I sent a message at 10:38 (and heard the whoosh sound that indicates sent) and my partner didn't receive it and so we caught up by phone call. Text was logged in his phone as being sent/received at 12:00. We were both in the same location (retail park) no more than a few hundred yards apart.

It surely should only take a matter of seconds / minutes for text to be relayed - what is going on? .

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Seraphina One, or both of you might also need new sim cards. You can go into an O2 store and they will swap your sims for free. The process is usually very quick. Just make sure you have identification with you when you go.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Seraphina Static can build up on SIM cards so it’s always worthwhile removing and reinserting them occasionally. 

You can also suffer from network congestion in busy areas which will delay things. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Seraphina One, or both of you might also need new sim cards. You can go into an O2 store and they will swap your sims for free. The process is usually very quick. Just make sure you have identification with you when you go.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 8

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35222 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

You can also suffer from network congestion in busy areas which will delay things. 

Is this something that would improve by flipping from 4G to 3G, similar to the advice on improving d'l or u'l speeds when 4G is over-utilised, but 3G is under-subscribed? Just wondering, have not been somewhere where I can test this out for SMS... 

Message 4 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
SMS will happily send over 2g too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 8

Seraphina
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you. We're going to try replacing the sim in my partners phone as my sim is only a few months old (and lightly used) .

Message 6 of 8

Seraphina
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you. We're going to try replacing sim in partner's phone as mine is only a few months old.

Message 7 of 8

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Seraphina, I was wondering if you got a chance to replace the SIM in the end, and if it helped at all?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 8 of 8