Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left O2 - Final Bill Procedure?

Portlanders
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 19 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok, so i was on sim only with a couple of months left on my contract, and ported my number to a different network last week. 

My O2 account now doesn't show any bills, historic or future anymore. 
I've had no comms from O2 since the switch, no notification of early termination fee and what that is. 

Yet my usual £10 a month was debited from my account today. 

Why isn't O2 informing me of what the early termination fee, and when they are going to take the money? Are they not breaking the direct debit gaurantee by just taking an amount from my account without informing me first? 

I don't know if this is normal procedure, or if there is a glitch in not informing me of the situation, any advice please? 

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143419 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Portlanders 

It's normal for O2.

They take the final payment from the regular DD so make sure you don't cancel it yet.

They send a letter in the post if you have a device plan attached but otherwise, nothing.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143419 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Portlanders 

It's normal for O2.

They take the final payment from the regular DD so make sure you don't cancel it yet.

They send a letter in the post if you have a device plan attached but otherwise, nothing.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Portlanders
  • 19 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks,

So i guess i have to contact them to find out what that final payment amount is? 

What i mean is how do i know if the payment today is the final payment, or if there will be another next month? 

Message 3 of 7

Portlanders
  • 19 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks again,

I got confirmation on live chat that today was my final payment and i can cancel the direct debit now. 

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143419 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Portlanders 

I wouldn't trust live chat and there's no need to cancel your DD.

It willl just stop being collected when your account is clear.

If you cancel with money left to pay, you will get a default on your credit file for the next 6 years.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

Portlanders
  • 19 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That's a bit dramatic.
I don't think it's healthy to leave dormant dd's on your account...my personal view.

I have the transcript saved, so if anything like you should should happen I have evidence for complaint, but I'm sure o2 wouldn't incorrectly advise me.

I do find it bizarre there is no comms from o2 and what you final bill amount is and when it will be taken though. I like transparency with businesses I have services with.

Anyhows, all sorted, and thanks again for your advice.
Message 6 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Leave the DD for a couple of months just to be safe, but I'll echo @MI5's comments about live chat being unreliable...
Search the forum for feedback on them and you'll see lots of people get told conflicting things.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 7