Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving o2

blissgirl
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 7274 Posts
  • 46 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi I'm new here and I was wondering if you can help me my contract with o2 ends at the end of next month & I'm thinking of leaving o2 (but what I want to know is are there any hidden fees for if i decide to cancel early?)

iPhone 15 plus 128Gb light pink (with Vodafone) slight_smile
Message 1 of 81
80 REPLIES 80

Anonymous
Not applicable
@blissgirl please follow the advice of @MI5

Phone o2 on 202 and ask for your pac (port authorisation code). Once you have this, get a FREE pay as you go sim card from any other network you wish. Then contact that network and port your old number onto their pay as you go sim.

If you don't want to use the pay as you go sim then just cut it in half and bin it.

By porting your number over in this way you are guaranteeing your o2 contract ends as a successful port completes it for you.

Then just leave your direct debit open for say 3 months just to be sure.

Job done
Message 21 of 81

blissgirl
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 7274 Posts
  • 46 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Anonymous  beause the only option that o2 give then i upgrade is to go onto o2 refresh witch i dont want to do so going else where instead

iPhone 15 plus 128Gb light pink (with Vodafone) slight_smile
Message 22 of 81

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can choose standard 24 month O2 contracts with Carphone Warehouse.
Message 23 of 81

Anonymous
Not applicable
Refresh in Principle is of no difference if you are upgrading to a new phone. The overall price is the same. It is just clearer what you are paying and you have the option to pay your phone off early and upgrade again.

If you are happy with your existing phone you could just change to sim only. To achieve that you could just call o2 and they will change your tariff. You might need a new sim card which they would send to you.

Up to you of course
Message 24 of 81

Anonymous
Not applicable

@blissgirl wrote:

@Anonymous  beause the only option that o2 give then i upgrade is to go onto o2 refresh witch i dont want to do so going else where instead

Hi @blissgirl    Sorry to hear you are heading away from O2 but before you go -  have you had a look at Giffgaff.  It is part of O2 (or at least part of the same organisation that owns O2) but you do not have to tie yourself to a contract.  You can go pay and go without having to top up every month or you can buy a monthly "goodybag"  and indeed choose a different goodybag each month.  For example you migh normally want one that has onlt say 500GB data a month except when you go on Holiday - so for you holiday period you can buy a differnet goodybag that allows more data etc.  And what's more if you like it and spread the word to friends and they take out a free Giffgaff SIM you can earn yourself a few quid.  Also if you join their slef help community you can also earn rewards.  

Overall it is a more flexible system than O2, though they do use the O2 Network so if you currentl have poor network service with O2 that would not change.

You can get more details here.   

Message 25 of 81

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hasn't their been on occasion where the handset has been more expensive on the Refresh Handset Plan that it would cost retail and unlocked @Anonymous ?
Message 26 of 81

Anonymous
Not applicable
Almost certainly @Anonymous but we don't know if the OP could afford to purchase a handset outright. That's assuming of course she wants to, might like her existing handset.

That decision is hers and hers only. Just providing extra choice and to make sure no confusion on refresh
Message 27 of 81

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Almost certainly @Anonymous but we don't know if the OP could afford to purchase a handset outright. That's assuming of course she wants to, might like her existing handset.

That decision is hers and hers only. Just providing extra choice and to make sure no confusion on refresh

As ever good advice too @Anonymous 

Message 28 of 81

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous

Giffgaff is a good idea but please note that if the OP wants a new handset then Giffgaff work in the same way as o2 refresh or you buy the handset outright.

They don't offer the old style contracts. Best places for those are Carphone Warehouse (as suggested by BoB) or some of the better online offers.
Message 29 of 81

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144349 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
giffgaff don't offer any contracts at all - It's outright phone purchase of buy it on the knock.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 30 of 81