Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 12 pro weak signal

jcf964
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I got the new iphone 12 pro on 23/10/20 and all seems ok, but the signal seems to be much weaker. The phone either has just 1 bar of 4g or goes to 3g all the time and also most of the time when the phone is connected to wifi it shows it's connected to o2 wifi calling so there seems to be something not quite right. All the settings are correct and it does connect to the internet, but speed tests show anything between 1 and 5meg download.

I put the sim into my old samsung phone and the status shows 4g or 4g+ and the speeds on speedtest are back up to around 10-30 meg.

Tried rebooting the iphone and turning flight mode on and off to see if the signal picks up but it still seems that the iphone is not picking up full bars of 4g.

This is when i'm at home and the coverage checker shows excellent coverage so i can't understand why a brand new iphone is not picking up as strong a signal as the samsung s20.

Also out and about locally it switches from 1 bar 4g to full bars 3g quite often whereas putting the o2 sim in the samsung shows constant full 4g and rarely drops to H or H+

Just wondered if this was a common problem and whether it will improve with an ios update seeing as these are new phones.

I don't want to have to cancel within the 14 days as the phone is fine,it's just the issue with data speeds particularly when I've gone for an unlimited data tariff.

Many thanks 🙂 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Thanks @O2Richard thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Shouldn't need to be involved for something so basic though.......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Shouldn't need to be involved for something so basic though.......

Totally agree but @jcf964  was getting absolutely nowhere with O2, was he?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 16

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I'm just perplexed by CS just lately.
Another customer was told he couldn't have 5g today on an iPhone 12 because they had an older device with O2.
And now they don't know what iData is.....
Words fail me!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 16

jcf964
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Have checked again and it seems idata is on my account, as I have visual voicemail and that works ok.

I don't think it's the actual phone as have tried a EE sim in it and speeds are very fast.

Tried o2 sim again both in samsung and iphone and although there's a difference the download speeds don't seem as different as they have been the last few days.

The only other thing that was mentioned on my call to o2 was that it could be congestion that's slowing things down at certain times of the day.

When i had o2 before at the same address last year it certainly wasn't as slow as it is now. Came back to o2 from EE and expected the same speeds at home as I got before certainly didn't expect them to be slower.

Message 15 of 16

jcf964
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Been out and about today and tested the signal on the iphone 12 pro in various locations and it seems ok, good 4g mostly and picked up 5g a couple of miles away and got a 280meg and a 245meg download. Must just be the house area that's got a weaker signal than before.
Message 16 of 16